Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

General Current Affairs Chat - Global and Local

The burning issues of the day
Hairy-Joe

Re: General Current Affairs Chat - Global and Local

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Well, the shit thrower was on Joe Duffy. He came across as completely not understanding how a democracy works. He would apologize when they (government party members) stopped voting with the government. The ironic thing is that they were there to support some sort of development that he was for himself and he hurled the shite with the comment of something like "as you are bringing shit into the area, here's some shit".
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I still can't get my head round the mentality of others (and the meeting organisers) not to expel the 'shit' thrower from the meeting after his assault on the two politicians. I have very, very little time for politicians but even less for scumbags who feel entitled to attack people that they disagree with.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Oh DM, I'd be the same. I'm all for discussion and explaining points of view. Resorting to name calling and personal attack means you have lost. Resorting to violence should mean at least being throwing out of the room and if I had my way, charged for assault.

Sure I disagree with people on certain things but we'll have a debate with an open mind.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

There was a fad of egging politicians and throwing milkshakes on them a few years back with the media in full support if the victim had the wrong politics. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/21/worl ... arage.html
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

In fairness, they are politicians, so it was probably a reaction to months or even years of shit coming in the opposite direction.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

marhay70 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:10 am In fairness, they are politicians, so it was probably a reaction to months or even years of shit coming in the opposite direction.
What an absolutely stupid comment.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:44 am What an absolutely stupid comment.
Humour not your strong point?
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

TBF the amount of political people in country,who only pay lip service to issues and think public should blindly accept it,is terrible

They only seen locally at election time once every 5 years and never in between,and resort to calling people racist etc,when their own political shortcomings meet local anger....be very surprised if this is last of these type events,country is at boiling point over their nonchalant approach over cost of living crisis,old people are presenting with hypothermia to GPs,while government ads on TV,of pigeons telling em to use shit coal and sit in the cold

Honestly temper's are starting to fray with the disaster unfolding across state,while every politians/media response here is to tell people,their issues aren't real
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:44 am What an absolutely stupid comment.
Speaking of absolutely stupid comments…..

“ It cannot meaningfully be claimed that being hit with a milkshake is an act of violence. There is no threat of injury. It's very inconvenient, but in no way prohibitive. If you really had to, you could go about your day even though you'd just been hit by a milkshake.

In that sense, the milkshake is an ideal weapon for combat against the likes of Robinson and Farage, who big themselves up as tough guys prepared to fight for the protection of Britain from immigrants and EU influence. It proves a point when it transpires that these men are not even prepared to continue campaigning after being hit with a milkshake.”

https://www.joe.ie/politics/milkshaking-670072
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

knownunknown wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:15 am Speaking of absolutely stupid comments…..

“ It cannot meaningfully be claimed that being hit with a milkshake is an act of violence. There is no threat of injury. It's very inconvenient, but in no way prohibitive. If you really had to, you could go about your day even though you'd just been hit by a milkshake.

In that sense, the milkshake is an ideal weapon for combat against the likes of Robinson and Farage, who big themselves up as tough guys prepared to fight for the protection of Britain from immigrants and EU influence. It proves a point when it transpires that these men are not even prepared to continue campaigning after being hit with a milkshake.”

https://www.joe.ie/politics/milkshaking-670072
Anne Rabbitte described herself as a 'tough old bird' previously.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/hea ... 69978.html

Absolutely heartbreaking story of the death of 4 years old Ahana Singh two months after the family came to Ireland. That hospital definitely have a case to answer. With the death of 16 years old Aoife Johnston recently which also involved problems re care given, this is an indictment of what is going on in Irish hospitals
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Setanta wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:47 pm
Honestly temper's are starting to fray with the disaster unfolding across state,while every politians/media response here is to tell people,their issues aren't real
I think a lot of anger is being both misplaced and misguided.

For misplaced, the real power is the senior civil servants. They are in position years and know they'll be there after the current minister is gone. If the civil servants don't like what ever scheme the minister has to tackle the problem, they'll long finger it, get studies done, etc. By the time all their "due diligence" is done, the minister is gone.

Also, for the civil service, there's no consequence for incompetency.

For misguided, a politicians goal is to get re-elected. If there is more votes in supporting the local GAA over the local stamp collecting club, they'll go with the GAA. Also, certain political parties who are not in power are setting unrealistic expectations as to what a minister in power can achieve (see above).

Also, the pot of money is only so big. Not everything can be afforded so the cloth has to be cut to measure.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:28 am I think a lot of anger is being both misplaced and misguided.

For misplaced, the real power is the senior civil servants. They are in position years and know they'll be there after the current minister is gone. If the civil servants don't like what ever scheme the minister has to tackle the problem, they'll long finger it, get studies done, etc. By the time all their "due diligence" is done, the minister is gone.

Also, for the civil service, there's no consequence for incompetency.

For misguided, a politicians goal is to get re-elected. If there is more votes in supporting the local GAA over the local stamp collecting club, they'll go with the GAA. Also, certain political parties who are not in power are setting unrealistic expectations as to what a minister in power can achieve (see above).

Also, the pot of money is only so big. Not everything can be afforded so the cloth has to be cut to measure.
Absolutely, the Civil Service is behind most of the incompetency and inaction seen within the Public Service area. I was on a voluntary committee along with a Principal Officer in the Civil Service, It was decided to carry out some building work in the neighbourhood and I contacted a builder who had carried out quite a lot of work for us in the past, and obtained a quote of €5300 for the work, which he sketched out on a sheet of paper. I presented this to the committee at the next meeting. The Civil Servant was not satisfied with this and wanted proper architectural drawings etc, for a project that consisted of a footpath across a flat green area, similar to what any householder would do in the back garden of a new house, with no vehicular traffic, no obstacles like streams, ditches etc, just a stretch of plain concrete laid on hardcore. To cut a long story short, she delayed the project for so long that, with rising material costs, architect fees, and the rest, the cost was nearer to €16000. which was beyond our means. Civil Servants are conditioned to avoid the use of common sense.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

That reminds me of talking to a friend of a friend on a night out. He worked for the HSE looking after building works. He told me an example of how bad it is. He was looking to get a stone wall replaced as it was starting to fall (it may have been helped by a car hitting it). He was looking for three quotes to keep the rule makers happy and was short a quote. He approached a friend of his who was a stonemason about the job and the mason had no interest in the job. Anyway, to keep the friend happy, the mason priced the job, tripled it (to price himself out of the job) and put in the tripled priced quote. The mason was the cheapest and got the job.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:46 am That reminds me of talking to a friend of a friend on a night out. He worked for the HSE looking after building works. He told me an example of how bad it is. He was looking to get a stone wall replaced as it was starting to fall (it may have been helped by a car hitting it). He was looking for three quotes to keep the rule makers happy and was short a quote. He approached a friend of his who was a stonemason about the job and the mason had no interest in the job. Anyway, to keep the friend happy, the mason priced the job, tripled it (to price himself out of the job) and put in the tripled priced quote. The mason was the cheapest and got the job.
With Civil Servants it's always a case of self-preservation, cover your own arse whatever the consequences to anybody else. And of course, it's always somebody else's money, so not a concern really.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:05 am https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/hea ... 69978.html

Absolutely heartbreaking story of the death of 4 years old Ahana Singh two months after the family came to Ireland. That hospital definitely have a case to answer. With the death of 16 years old Aoife Johnston recently which also involved problems re care given, this is an indictment of what is going on in Irish hospitals
How do we know they didn’t arrive here infected ? We have no idea what illnesses are spreading due to immigrants.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:23 pm How do we know they didn’t arrive here infected ? We have no idea what illnesses are spreading due to immigrants.
Vile comment. You are regularly not very far from a terrible remark, to be honest - it's not cool.

Ahana's father came here because he was offered a job as an IT professional. Many of the Indian people who are in Ireland are working incredibly hard especially in medical and IT professions. My son works in software development at a high level with mostly Indian professionals in Ireland - they are very intelligent and highly trained and contribute enormously to our expertise in this area. Our health service, for example, would be in even more bits without brilliant Indian doctors.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:23 pm How do we know they didn’t arrive here infected ? We have no idea what illnesses are spreading due to immigrants.
It doesn't matter where she picked up the infection it's still an awful tragedy and you can chalk down her death down to the appalling situation at A+E's countrywide.
'no more blah blah blah'
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

I'm not getting into moral arguments but I think he raises a good point.
Are people being let into our country being properly vetted?

IMO this should include a medical examination and one that goes beyond a simple check up.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

The fact the child had dark skin made Strep A less obvious. As I understand it, in the initial stages Strep A is not readily distinguishable from other similar infections and it will only progress given the right conditions, so I think it could be missed, even in ideal circumstances.
That's not to excuse the conditions in our A&E departments, which are unacceptable in a modern wealthy country.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:47 pm Vile comment. You are regularly not very far from a terrible remark, to be honest - it's not cool.

Ahana's father came here because he was offered a job as an IT professional. Many of the Indian people who are in Ireland are working incredibly hard especially in medical and IT professions. My son works in software development at a high level with mostly Indian professionals in Ireland - they are very intelligent and highly trained and contribute enormously to our expertise in this area. Our health service, for example, would be in even more bits without brilliant Indian doctors.
I’m not quite sure who made you the arbiter of what May or may not be posted but Google the rising numbers of HIV cases that are in Ireland - a spike that exactly corresponds with higher numbers of people from Africa.

India also is not exactly known for excellent public health - they’d prefer to build a space programme than look after their people.

Whether someone is here legally or not is utterly irrelevant.

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Mirabeau wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:45 pm I'm not getting into moral arguments but I think he raises a good point.
Are people being let into our country being properly vetted?

IMO this should include a medical examination and one that goes beyond a simple check up.
Thank you - exactly the point I was making, so glad to see someone has the open mind and brains to see.

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:53 pm It doesn't matter where she picked up the infection it's still an awful tragedy and you can chalk down her death down to the appalling situation at A+E's countrywide.
Which is caused by increased (at a pace we would not, nor should not have expected).

Yes of course it is sad for a child who has died - but Joe many others were infected as a result??

How did so many people arrive in Ireland during lockdown when our own people could not leave for funerals etc without having to be locked up for two weeks at their expense.

We’re a pathetic soft touch now and it will be the ruin of the country. And you all defending it and not wanting to open your eyes are to blame.

knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:07 pm I’m not quite sure who made you the arbiter of what May or may not be posted but Google the rising numbers of HIV cases that are in Ireland - a spike that exactly corresponds with higher numbers of people from Africa.

India also is not exactly known for excellent public health - they’d prefer to build a space programme than look after their people.

Correlation does not imply causation.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:07 pm I’m not quite sure who made you the arbiter of what May or may not be posted but Google the rising numbers of HIV cases that are in Ireland - a spike that exactly corresponds with higher numbers of people from Africa.

This raised my interest

25% new cases are sub Saharan Africa
32% new cases are of Latin American origin
19% new cases are eastern European,up from 5% usually(quite the suprise when it was estimated Ukraine had 1% of its population with it!)

The remaining cases are of unknown origin,which one is free to speculate I guess,but could include anyone,I guess
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein