Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Post what's on your mind

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
Hairy-Joe

Re: Post what's on your mind

Post by Hairy-Joe »

isha wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:20 pm I got me wool! Woohoo 🎉
Mine isn't here yet....

Still in trouble about it here.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

isha wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:48 pm I finished my lovely jumper and now my daughter wants one .. but the pattern she picked is a bit more difficult plus smaller needles and finer wool so there go my evenings for the next month!

I'm doing this one in blue and sea type colours

L38_12_Uppstytta2.jpg
That is beautiful. Do you take commissions? :D
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:20 pm I got me wool! Woohoo 🎉
Bringing back lovely memories of the sainted mother who could knit anything - she often cast off as I left for school and I’d come back to a jumper!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:58 pm That is beautiful. Do you take commissions? :D
Unless I've given birth to you or married you...
200w.gif
200w.gif (54.36 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

isha wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:08 pm Unless I've given birth to you or married you...

200w.gif
:lol: :lol:
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:08 pm Unless I've given birth to you or married you...

200w.gif
Post of the week guys - don't even try lol!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Still no feckin' delivery.

Damn you An Post!
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:52 am Post of the week guys - don't even try lol!!!
And me in the market for a mammy and all :x

:mrgreen:
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Apparently, this is a "stunning" dress that "wowed" the attendance at the Golden Globes. Is this the real difference between men and women or is it the difference between the "luvvies" and the rest of us, because it looks to me as if she has just got up and has gathered the bedclothes around her?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/sty ... r-AA16d2Ux
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

marhay70 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:14 pmIs this the real difference between men and women or is it the difference between the "luvvies" and the rest of us, because it looks to me as if she has just got up and has gathered the bedclothes around her?
More of a difference between those with money and those with sense ... :roll:

The garment is described as having "a fitted bodice" - really? It's hardly "fitted" if the fabric is twisted and wrinkled, and it looks like one could "pinch an inch" of overspill through the "cut-out details". I reckon Kadman would have got all that to fit together much better. :mrgreen:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

CelticRambler wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:52 pm More of a difference between those with money and those with sense ... :roll:

The garment is described as having "a fitted bodice" - really? It's hardly "fitted" if the fabric is twisted and wrinkled, and it looks like one could "pinch an inch" of overspill through the "cut-out details". I reckon Kadman would have got all that to fit together much better. :mrgreen:
I doubt whether the missus would have let me take on that job, as i am a devil for measuring a lot more than once before any cutting is done...and therein would lay the problem.

Looks like the andrex puppy was let run loose around here with a 10 kilometre roll of red loo roll :lol:
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

kadman wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:32 pm I doubt whether the missus would have let me take on that job, as i am a devil for measuring a lot more than once before any cutting is done...and therein would lay the problem.

Looks like the andrex puppy was let run loose around here with a 10 kilometre roll of red loo roll :lol:
Ah you rotter - I’ve just snorted laughing on the train and look like an idiot lol!!!

Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:59 pm Ah you rotter - I’ve just snorted laughing on the train and look like an idiot lol!!!
You look like an idiot but I know I am one.....
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:59 pm Ah you rotter - I’ve just snorted laughing on the train and look like an idiot lol!!!
A good laugh is the best tonic of the day...good for you :D
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:04 pm You look like an idiot but I know I am one.....
Oh I’m an idiot alright but they should find that out in their own time!!!

Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I'll stick to me sausage, beans and spuds, thanks. :x
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

CelticRambler wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:28 pm I'll stick to me sausage, beans and spuds, thanks. :x
Same CR. I've eaten in a few Michelin star restaurants back in the day and they weren't for me. There is a big experience element to them where it seems to be about more than just the food.

I sort of like that but it's the strange looking teeny little foods that I'm not a fan of.
Even the average fancy pants places I tend not to go to. And they all have silly names like Sky or Bucket or The.
I like the idea of them but they just aren't me and I'd probably have to go alone if they were.

Dinner today was veg soup and two slices of bread. Isha may even call the bread a ............ frankenfood :mrgreen:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Myself and the Eldest Son were once treated to an haute-cuisine dinner in Dublin 14 by my parents, who made a big thing of the fact that they had a real French chef there. Things got off to a bad start when the waiter's translations of the menu items didn't match our understanding of the terms (What d'you mean it's duck? If you've written 'oie', it should be goose, otherwise it's 'canard' ...)

Anyway, my starter was (a correctly identified) quail, served on a slate platter with miscellaneous bitty garnishes and a couple of smears of sauce. It looked exactly like roadkill. On account of which it remains to this day one of our most memorable dining experiences. :lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Meanwhile, back in the real world of consumer-capitalism. Placing an order with Amazon yesterdya, I declined their kind offer of a month's free Prime because I rarely need the "accelerated delivery" it grants on selected items. Amazon France doesn't propose "next day delivery" unless you live in a town of more than ten million people.

So I was caught completely by surprise this lunchtime when, amongst a convoy of hunters in their Renault vans tearing along our lane after a deer, a GLS van pulled up and stopped and the driver hammered on my door. :o

Delivery of that item was promised for the 16th. La Poste have informed me that the one promised for the 17th will be delivered tomorrow. And Amazon being Amazon, they've separated the third one from the rest because ... Bezos knows. :roll:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

All the talk of fine dining has gotten me thinking. I'm not one for going to restaurants at the drop of a hat. I much prefer simple home cooking. At work they are always talking about this restaurant or that boutique eatery. I'm more of a simple taste man.

Sure when I was in Vietnam, I got so tired of the (admittedly lovely) food then in Saigon, I went hunting for McDonald's for food. It was needed as a kind of antidote.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Can you imagine how nice it feels for an animal like a moose or stag just after they do that head shake that sheds their massive antlers? They must feel like they are flying afterwards.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

How to persuade my neighbour to sell me a bit of his field ...

Called in this afternoon to the local notaire (best source of independent property purchase advice in France) who confirmed that the idea is feasible, no strange restrictions in force in this area, no known re-zoning plans in the works. Should be about 3k all-in, including paying a surveyor to formally slice a 6000m² corner off a 64ha plot :shock: (I knew it was big, but not that big!) which I'd consider a bargain for what I'd be getting.

But the neighbour is not motivated by money, so I've got to come up with some good non-financial arguments to nudge him towards reducing the size of his empire. :?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I’m an Everton fan of 50 years plus standing.

And I’m doing Dry January.

Having to suffer sober is annoying!!

Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Do you ever think to yourselves gods but I belong in a different place or different time altogether.