Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Anyone have experience of wall hung toilet installation?

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Anyone have experience of wall hung toilet installation?

Post by CelticRambler »

Most unusually, the internet seems remarkably unmoved by the topic, with most articles I've found appearing to be AI generated clickbaity uselessness.

Anyway, in the chicken shed bathroom, the toilet needs to be positioned against an internal(ish) wall that'll be dry lined to a depth of about 10cm. I'm thinking that maybe it would be as well to come out another 8cm and hide away everything but the bowl.

From what I've read, the supposed advantages or disadvantages of "wall hung" versus "classic floor mounted bowl and cistern" are very marginal. "Cost" is about as long as a piece of string; and "ease of cleaning" is hardly a major factor if one practices one's most ambitious manœuvres in the garden. :)

Is there anything I'm missing?
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Anyone have experience of wall hung toilet installation?

Post by kadman »

Hiding away every thing but the bowl, means no access to anything in the event of a problem.
Hanging a cistern on a studded drylined partition has the bowl cantilevering out and the added weight of some person is a lot of force.

presumably your wall hung toilet and cistern has some floor support, as water weight in a cistern is substantial.

As per usual your lack of pics of your proposed toilet and cistern leaves one to speculate on exactly what you want to fit, and as I have a very active imagination, and you are predisposed to some crazy ideas :lol: , my imagination can come up with all sorts of scenarios.
Some of which I cant post here for rules of decency.

So...we need a pic of the goods you want to fit.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Adding a space between the toilet and the floor seems like a bad idea.

Post by 95438756 »

knownunknown wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:03 pm Adding a space between the toilet and the floor seems like a bad idea.
Seen in Ensuite Hotel and Guest House Rooms. Installed as a space saving measure. Have'nt seen them in Private accomodation.
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

Do not do this unless you are planning on using steel in your partition wall and using threaded bar or bolts to mount to make sure it takes the full weight of a heavy human wiggling while wiping their arse
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Standard toilet bowls are heavy enough before you have someone sit on it. Really heavy duty fixings would be needed on a block wall and some sort of structural support behind the plasterboard on a partition wall. I'm envisaging all the disasters that could happen if it came loose and I'm wondering why the necessity for this.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Do an Indian-style squat toilet and then you won't have to cope with the weight of anyones arse on it 😁
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Another thing that intrigues me is how he managed to find toilet trained chickens, most of them will just shit anywhere.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

gugleguy wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:32 pmInstalled as a space saving measure. Have'nt seen them in Private accomodation.
Well, that's one of the arguments that doesn't make sense to me. Where's the space saved? You still have a bowl (same size as the classic configuration), you still have a 6 or 8 litre cistern (same volume as a classic toilet), and instead of a plinth under the bowl, you have a bloody great scaffolding to install and then have to build a wall to hide it. So where exactly is the space being saved? Compared to a close-coupled pan-and-cistern, I reckon they take up more space. :?

That's kind of beside the point for this particular installation, as I'm only looking at making better use of space that will otherwise be wasted. And eliminating the horizontal surface of the cistern would improve the aesthetics of the room. It also strikes me as somewhat more logical to work on all the plumbing before fitting the plasterboard and doing the tiling.
knownunknown wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:03 pm Adding a space between the toilet and the floor seems like a bad idea.
That's actually one of the points that's regularly cited as a major advantage, specifically that there's no plinth to get in the way of a nice smooth mopping action. It's not that hard to wipe around and behind the base of a normal toilet, which is why I think that's mainly a load of marketing guff, targeted at (or sucked in from) the hospitality sector.
kadman wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:57 am presumably your wall hung toilet and cistern has some floor support, as water weight in a cistern is substantial.

As per usual your lack of pics of your proposed toilet and cistern leaves one to speculate on exactly what you want to fit, and as I have a very active imagination, and you are predisposed to some crazy ideas
Hugh_Bigazz wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:10 pm Do not do this unless you are planning on using steel in your partition wall and using threaded bar or bolts to mount to make sure it takes the full weight of a heavy human wiggling while wiping their arse
From these two comments, it seems like this isn't really something that's caught on in Ireland yet. The units come with a steel frame (and - slight tangent - I'm using steel framing for all the framing, dry lining and ceiling work in this project; can't believe how much easier it is to work with than timber ... :o ). The frame is fixed to wall and/or floor in such a way as to be able to cope with a minimum of 250kg wriggling on the bowl. They are an "off the shelf" item in all normal hardware/home improvement shops in France.

For the edufication of those who are not familiar with the concept, here's one:

Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

The thing is they are not practical outside commercial use. What happens when the cistern syphon goes. You need access to the cistern
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

We only recently had one installed. We haven't even used it yet and to be honest it looks rather fragile. From a space saving perspective it does give that illusion because there is less of it, however we needed to extend out part of the wall to fit the bits and pieces behind. It looks lovely but I don't think there are any real advantages to having one compared with the bog
(tee hee) standard version.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Like I said on numerous occasions, in typical CR fashion, all the details of the said Item are omitted in the first post. O so easy to give all the info first, and then ask the questions pertaining to the said items fitting requirements. And then enlighten us that it is in fact made from steel, and is a support frame for the loo.

Typical. :D
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

The toilet being hung definitely makes sense from an ease of cleaning perspective. Aesthetically CR they are a lovely job.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

The bad-ish weather decided me to make a 300km detour to visit a friend recently relocated from Picardie to the Dordogne. "Tell me," says I to him, "what's your opinion of wall-hung toilets?"

"Let me show you," says he, and drags a collection of packages off a pile of boxes to reveal one such waiting to be installed.

This will be the seventh he's fitted, and he says he's never go back to the traditional cistern and pan style. Main advantages, in his opinion: space saving, wall can be fully finished before fitting the pan, floor can be fully tiled before firing the pan with no need to think of cutting tiles to fit in any way other than straight up to the finished wall, pan height can be adjusted to cater for the likely end-user (low for a children's room, high for arthritic OAPs).

Grand so. Will put one on the shopping list
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I must be some class of a pervert as every time I see this thread I read it as well hung toilet installation - the mind boggles! :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I'll take that as a compliment. :mrgreen:

But will refrain from posting pics, for fear of the trauma it might cause ... :?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Yayyy! I have become an Influencer. 8-)

It seems one of the hot topics at the NYE gathering of the extended Rambler Clan in Dublin was my new toilet plans. :lol: My sister-the-widow's new man just happens to run (work in? manage?) a bathroom showroom/fitting company (that's how the sister met him - went in for a bathroom, came out with a boyfriend ... ) and my dad reports that yerman says that 50% of the toilets they're installing these days are of the wall-hung variety.

I bought mine on Saturday (149€ for the whole kit and caboodle, including rimless pan and soft-close lid; couldn't see any good reason to pay 200€ extra for what seemed like an equivalent product under a Big Brand label). At first inspection, it does indeed look like a much simpler, neater installation process, as it is/will be possible to position, adjust and test all the gubbins before putting up a single sheet of pasterboard, and afterwards, once all the tiling is done, the pan just attaches straight to the wall (or rather the frame behind it). The kit includes a couple of blanks to block up the flush-water and waste pipes while the rest of the works continue.

The new boyfriend passed on a word of caution: be careful with the pan height! I'd already spotted that one of the supposed advantages - "adjustable height" - is permanently lost as soon as the unit is fixed to the wall; you get one chance to choose the final height, and that's it forever after. The new bf says a lot of DIYers get caught out by the main part of the installation taking place so early in the build, and forget to take account of the extra centimetres that'll be added by screed and tiles, resulting in a pan height that's lower than they wanted.

So that's one project-within-a-project lined up for January. But it'll take second place to preparing a slab of concrete for the new "cubicle-free" showerin the same room.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Probably no longer the right location for this thread, but sure who's checking ...? :?

After a fortnight of multiple delays and revisions to the schedule of works, the toilet is hung. Or rather everything but the toilet (pan) is "hung" - that'll be done at the very end of project.

I understand now why my semi-professional renovating friend opts for this style every time - it's a lot easier to make enforced changes at this stage, without having to worry about drilling through tiles, or short sections of pipe, or whatever ; and even though I'm not that bothered by the sight of a cistern in a bathroom, not having one protruding into that corner will make the room seem a lot more spacious.

Still a lot of work to do yet, but now that the ugliness is fixed in place, I'm hoping that hiding it all away will be more straightforward - studding, insulation (second layer) and plasterboard.

(Rimless shower will be on the left, where the fresh concrete is; doorway on the right is now blocked up, to accommodate a window in the upper half and a cabinet below; there's a third of the room out of sight behind the camera, which is where the sink/mirror/door/towel-rail will be located)
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Mighty fall in that sewer pipe. Opposite of what people would think is the way to do it.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

It was a "needs must" situation. We couldn't position the hole in the wall any higher (due to the presence of another one of those massive quartz blocks), so the only alternative was to have a short vertical drop, a 67°bend and then an almost horizontal pipe.

After much deliberation (and googling) as well as bad experiences with low-volume flush toilets and horizontal waste, I decided that including an extra bend to get a lower slope would be a bigger risk than this arrangement.

Should ever it clog, the pan can be easily removed, and a suitable un-clogging device fed straight into the pipe. But if it clogs repeatedly, then it'll be tricky but possible to disconnect the current arrangement and re-configure it with the 67° bend and a lower slope.
Jack The Stripper

What is the pipe route after it exits the bathroom, is it ground floor or upper floor?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ground. Where it goes depends on when the system gets commissioned. The default option is straight into the septic tank, which is about 5m behind the wall on which the toilet is installed. However, I'm seriously looking into getting a biogas production unit, which would be positioned about 2m away, and again the waste would feed straight into it.

Point of info: the wall is 0.6m thick!

Other point of info: if I don't get a biogas unit in the short term, this toilet won't get used for solids except in the case of extreme emergency - they're more valuable in a compost toilet. 8-)
Jack The Stripper

Extreme emergencies usually produce a lot of shit. I’d say you will be ok though. It’s the combination of a long log and a scoury end with a half a roll of loo roll that would do it for you.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:19 pm Mighty fall in that sewer pipe. Opposite of what people would think is the way to do it.
Have to agree there. There is a set datum for sewer pipe falls apparently. But if its too much of a fall, then the liquid flows away first, leaving heavier matter behind that has no liquid to assist it moving. Not enough fall means nothing moves . Tis a fine line :lol:

I remember being told this many years ago when I was doing my own septic tank. Its a shallow enough fall thats required.
No doubt you can have a good feed of guiness, and test it out. :D
Jack The Stripper

kadman wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:08 pm Have to agree there. There is a set datum for sewer pipe falls apparently. But if its too much of a fall, then the liquid flows away first, leaving heavier matter behind that has no liquid to assist it moving. Not enough fall means nothing moves . Tis a fine line :lol:

I remember being told this many years ago when I was doing my own septic tank. Its a shallow enough fall thats required.
No doubt you can have a good feed of guiness, and test it out. :D
We do 1 in 40 gradient. 25mm per metre. Get it right as pulling a Swiss roll of shit, piss and bog roll compressed and bits of sweetcorn isn’t the nicest.