Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Anyone still glued to this?

News, geopolitics, impact, consequences etc from the Ukraine Russia conflict
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Anyone still glued to this?

Post by kadman »

Zelensky has touched down in the US, and is going to look for more weapons.
US has already given( put on hp for the eu to pay for) over 100 billion dollars in weapons :shock: :shock:

They will always give(endebt) billions to countrys for war, readily. But never for much else. Its a sad,sad world really.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Another interview with Colonel MacGregor on Ukraine and the possibility of Nato ceasing to exist after the war in Ukraine is over. Interviewed by some English lad who reminds me of something out of Dad's army, but very knowledgeable about British history rather than the air heads who pass as military analysts in this goldfish bowl of a world we now live in. Dedicated to CR as I know he loves Colonel MacGregor's lovely rasping voice. :mrgreen:

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

:lol: Given how the bould colonel has - so far - been almost 100% wrong in his earlier predictions for what'd happen this winter, I think it's reasonable to assume that he's got his head in a goldfish bowl all of his own. :mrgreen:

The events of the last couple of weeks have shown how well the Ukrainians understand the Russian mentality, and can effectively manipulate their enemy to their own advantage. Using "fake news" and Russian social media to get the Russians to relocate so much air-defence from the occupied territories to Moscow and St. Petersburg, leaving the way clear for a wave of tactical strikes on critical hubs was a master stroke.

Meanwhile, the Kremlin continues to waste men and ammunition doing stupid stuff because ... reasons? Maybe when they fill the ranks with women during the next mobilisation we'll see less stupidity in the field. :roll:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I found the video quite interesting (haven't finished it yet) and the points made about the Royal Navy's two new multi-billion aircraft carriers and the lack of sufficient British surface ships to protect them, the fact that aircraft carriers are a relic of WW.II., and submarines are where it's at - all very relevant. The points about China and Taiwan also very valid. The accents are indeed quite grating.
'no more blah blah blah'
KHD

Post by KHD »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:18 am I found the video quite interesting (haven't finished it yet) and the points made about the Royal Navy's two new multi-billion aircraft carriers and the lack of sufficient British surface ships to protect them, the fact that aircraft carriers are a relic of WW.II., and submarines are where it's at - all very relevant. The points about China and Taiwan also very valid. The accents are indeed quite grating.
It's all rubbish man, I'm sorry I watched it, what do them lads know about anything. Google Kiev independent for the real news. :mrgreen:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

The more I listen to the various "experts" spouting on YouTube, the more jaded I become. Most of them are fighting the previous generation war, not the current one.

This war has things that previous wars didn't. Internet, asymmetrical warfare (economic response against Russia), repurposed technology (Mitsubishi L200 as a fighting vehicle!), drones (military grade and €200 eBay specials), etc

I'm relying more and more on BBC as that's recognized as one of the most unbiased news outlets.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I remember reading years ago about the Viet Cong using buckets of urine hung in trees to render the US army's expensive hi-tech "people sniffer" technology ineffective.

I hear today that, hot on the heels of their recent well-targetted attacks on ammo-dumps and command centres, the Ukrainians have started responding to Russia's mass drone attacks with ... modified weather balloons. They don't do anything, other than show up on Russian radar over Russian-controlled airspace as something that shouldn't be up there, but the Russians are now so twitchy they fire off expensive air-defence rockets anyway, simultaneously revealing their location and depleting their stocks a little bit more.

That's the kind of creative thinking that achieves long-term success, and you don't get it by dragging "volunteers" off the street and sending them to the front line with a pack of fags and half a bottle of vodka.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Bakhmut is on brink of falling,some big breakthroughs for the Wagner group

Could potentially undermine Russian army,as Wagner group gets a significant victory,first in months for Russia.... likelyhood of defections to it will increase, undermining senior commanders and causing cracks internally in it, particularly after the mass loss of troops on new year eve

It took a toe-to-toe slog,and will for next few weeks.....everything should be done to intensify peace.... otherwise hundreds of thousands will die needlessly next year
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I'm wondering if the Ukrainians are allowing Wagner to advance and then try to kill Wagner people and then push back? They did that a few times outside Kerson to reduce the Russians. Also, it seems that Wagner are adopting the Soviet tactics of swamping and overwhelming with Cannon fodder and ignoring the losses.

Also, is it a tactic of Ukraine to get Russia to think that Ukrainians are weak here and so Russia would push forces in, weakening other areas. Then Ukraine can counterattack in these weakened areas?

Yes, I'm a self appointed 27 star armchair General.....
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:42 am I'm wondering if the Ukrainians are allowing Wagner to advance and then try to kill Wagner people and then push back? They did that a few times outside Kerson to reduce the Russians. Also, it seems that Wagner are adopting the Soviet tactics of swamping and overwhelming with Cannon fodder and ignoring the losses.

Also, is it a tactic of Ukraine to get Russia to think that Ukrainians are weak here and so Russia would push forces in, weakening other areas. Then Ukraine can counterattack in these weakened areas?

Yes, I'm a self appointed 27 star armchair General.....
I think their trying to bleed each other dry,to see who can stick out the levels of attrition....some of the footage of Russian/Wagner infantry probing in and getting annilated over and over, is grim,and a pure waste of life

I think the head of Wagner group is wanting to be seen to be winning,and is happy to scrafice members to do it.....him being photoed in that recently captured town,in theory within range of Ukraine missiles,plays well to a public at home compared to Putin and he sitting 10 feet away from any visiting politicians or their defence minister who had to go on TV to acknowledge a massive loss of life and putting the blame on ordinary soldiers

With them being only crowd to gain a victory in months of horrendous killings,it's a huge PR for his organisation and likely easier recruit than the forced drafts Russia is needing to undertake to bolster their ranks
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Not sure about the Zapp Brannigan tactic of sending wave after wave of people to their deaths. Nobody is that stupid. This warfare is more about being spotted and blown out of the sky from afar. If those drones spot you - you’re in trouble and need to move quick, unlike previous warfare.

The similarities are there though with other wars or invasions like in Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Korea the invading force think they’re the liberators and the defending force are fighting tooth and nail to defend what’s theirs.

I’ve heard the Russian soldiers think they are liberating the locals from a nazi regime, how true is this? I mean how the soldiers think. If that’s truly the case it’s easy to comprehend the bloodshed we are seeing.

Post by 95438756 »

Another one bites the dust . BBC News - Ukraine war: Sergei Surovikin removed as commander of Ukraine invasion force
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64235713
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Ya it's more of a shuffle really.

I'm wondering if there will be more and more dissent within the Russian Generals as their house of cards has been exposed badly and the longer this goes on, the worse it is for them. I imagine a lot are looking for a way to get out of Russia with their ill gotten millions
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:57 pm Ya it's more of a shuffle really.

I'm wondering if there will be more and more dissent within the Russian Generals as their house of cards has been exposed badly and the longer this goes on, the worse it is for them. I imagine a lot are looking for a way to get out of Russia with their ill gotten millions
Looks to be a person appointed that he'll have to answer too,to smooth things internally within Russia......Putin hasn't survived as long without have a certain political copon

You'd be hoping,the relentless targeting of infrastructure would cease,but it seems to be only tactic working in Russia's favour.....noone would clowns in western europe,who couldn't abide to wear a mask during a pandemic,endure what ordinary Ukrainians have had too,without a societal collaspe
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

As the West keeps on calling Russia's bluff: https://www.reuters.com/world/putin-all ... 023-01-22/ here in Ireland Paschal Donohoe's election expenses are far more important. :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

True and going completely off topic what comes to mind is "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". I'd say they are all at it!

Back on topic, there appears to be a major cohort in Berlin who are still trying not to offend the Russians and are holding up the Leopard 2 tanks. I'm of the opinion that the EU should send enough for a single massive push by Ukraine and completely call Putin's bluff. It's the only thing he seems to understand.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:59 am True and going completely off topic what comes to mind is "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". I'd say they are all at it!

Back on topic, there appears to be a major cohort in Berlin who are still trying not to offend the Russians and are holding up the Leopard 2 tanks. I'm of the opinion that the EU should send enough for a single massive push by Ukraine and completely call Putin's bluff. It's the only thing he seems to understand.
I think,their wary to be seen to arm neo-nazis.....the Russians have massively over egged the Nazism issue in Ukraine,but it certainly does exist

The rehabilitation,and in part admiration of the avoz regiment from Mariupol steel plant by many media in the west,is a propaganda victory for Putin at home,that can't be underestimated either

The fact Germany so called centrists took a leap to the right,on variety of subjects,as soon was out of power,was and should be an eye-opener to those who want further and further integration into Europe,while hand-wringing about that bloke in Hungary
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Just heard on the 9 o'clock news. Looks like the German Foreign Minister said Germany wouldn't stand in the way of tank exports from third countries
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:07 pm Just heard on the 9 o'clock news. Looks like the German Foreign Minister said Germany wouldn't stand in the way of tank exports from third countries
If they gonna do it,they should get on with it imo

Everyday spent fecking about,is a day of preparation lost,as the spring comes around
KHD

Post by KHD »

Setanta wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:12 pm If they gonna do it,they should get on with it imo

Everyday spent fecking about,is a day of preparation lost,as the spring comes around
The tanks won't make any difference, which is a major part of why Germany are reluctant to send them. You have to remember that Ukraine had hundreds of main battle tanks at the beginning of the invasion. These were destroyed. Midway through the war Nato and the US emptied out the stockpiles of tanks from former Warsaw Pact countries, again hundreds, these are also gone. Now they are sending a mixture of Leopards and what 14 British tanks and how will this change the outcome considering the Ukrainian army trained for years on their previous tanks and are now getting a hodge podge of different Western main battle tanks with limited training to be effective and a different ammunition and logistical burdens for each model ?

What I see is just hysteria and desperation from our western leaders as they have no other solution available to them other than send more weapons. The only good thing from a western point of view I can see is when the Ukrainian army does collapse the west have the option of a get out clause, if they chose it, of using Germany's slow response as the main reason why things went belly up.

Setanta

Post by Setanta »

KHD wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:46 pm The tanks won't make any difference, which is a major part of why Germany are reluctant to send them. You have to remember that Ukraine had hundreds of main battle tanks at the beginning of the invasion. These were destroyed. Midway through the war Nato and the US emptied out the stockpiles of tanks from former Warsaw Pact countries, again hundreds, these are also gone. Now they are sending a mixture of Leopards and what 14 British tanks and how will this change the outcome considering the Ukrainian army trained for years on their previous tanks and are now getting a hodge podge of different Western main battle tanks with limited training to be effective and a different ammunition and logistical burdens for each model ?

What I see is just hysteria and desperation from our western leaders as they have no other solution available to them other than send more weapons. The only good thing from a western point of view I can see is when the Ukrainian army does collapse the west have the option of a get out clause, if they chose it, of using Germany's slow response as the main reason why things went belly up.

I did think,the day of tank warfare was gone....they are getting rinsed in this war, particularly via drone

Dunno why the significance of these,but there's enough talking about em,send em or don't,but stop it as a distraction

That army won't be collasping,Russia is gonna need wade through a mountain of blood and bodies,the killing around bakhmut for a relatively
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

KHD wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:46 pm The tanks won't make any difference, which is a major part of why Germany are reluctant to send them. You have to remember that Ukraine had hundreds of main battle tanks at the beginning of the invasion. These were destroyed. Midway through the war Nato and the US emptied out the stockpiles of tanks from former Warsaw Pact countries, again hundreds, these are also gone. Now they are sending a mixture of Leopards and what 14 British tanks and how will this change the outcome considering the Ukrainian army trained for years on their previous tanks and are now getting a hodge podge of different Western main battle tanks with limited training to be effective and a different ammunition and logistical burdens for each model ?

I did think,the day of tank warfare was gone....they are getting rinsed in this war, particularly via drone

Dunno why the significance of these,but there's enough talking about em,send em or don't,but stop it as a distraction

That Ukraine army won't be collasping,Russia is gonna need wade through a mountain of blood and bodies to achieve their aims....Ukraine is now likely pound for pound the best armed army in world right now...

even the appetite among republican yanks to pull funding has softened to collasped,there's a real deep bitterness and strong experience of killing on boths sides,seeping into this war,by mid summer,there won't be any prisoners been taken anymore,and utter massacres by both sides
KHD

Post by KHD »

Setanta wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:16 pm I did think,the day of tank warfare was gone....they are getting rinsed in this war, particularly via drone

That Ukraine army won't be collasping,Russia is gonna need wade through a mountain of blood and bodies to achieve their aims....Ukraine is now likely pound for pound the best armed army in world right now...

even the appetite among republican yanks to pull funding has softened to collasped,there's a real deep bitterness and strong experience of killing on boths sides,seeping into this war,by mid summer,there won't be any prisoners been taken anymore,and utter massacres by both sides
I disagree with you on tanks, they are still a necessary piece of kit on the battlefield, especially this type of high intensity war we are, they can hit targets accurately and at long range. Agree on the drones, they have an important function now for correcting artillery, reconnaissance and at striking targets and are used by both sides.

Ukraine had the largest and the best equipped army in Europe in my view at the start of the war. Large amounts of air defence systems, artillery, tanks, ammunition and even aircraft. And also an army that was well trained to use them. How much of that army is still in the field ? They took heavy losses capturing Kherson and Karkov. While it was publicised as a success in reality when the Russian forces retreated to better positions due to lack of depth and manpower in their defence,t he Ukrainian army got pummelled with artillery and lost alot of equipment and manpower. Same thing happening now in Bakhmut for the last number of weeks. There is now only one way out for any Ukrainian soldiers in Bakhmut and that is rapidly closing. Zaluzhny has reportedly pleaded with Zelinsky to allow withdrawal from these areas but it has been refused, even some US officials advised it until the new weaponry has arrived and troops reorganised and trained on them. There is this misconception that the Russians are sending wave after wave of infantry which is completely illogical and I dont see any evidence of this other than wishful thinking on the part of the western media. They are not fighting the war in this way but instead making use of long range artillery and other systems to minimise loses on their own troops and maximise the loses on the Ukrainian side.

Anyway, whatever your point of view / analysis of what you see etc one thing seems to be certain. There will be a day, when we all wake up one morning and within the next few months if not sooner in my opinion, where we will switch on the news and say to ourselves how the fook are we now in this situation ? During the cold war, there was always a view,by both the Russians and Americans that there are certain lines that we don't cross and if it was approaching an escalatery situation,, both sides would sit down and work something out and descalate. This is now gone. America and Russia need to sit down and sort this out, but they won't and unfortunately this will now be decided on the battlefieldand it will be under Russian terms in my view. Nato and European armies have turned out to be paper tigers with no capability for sustainment of a real war like what is currently happening in Ukraine. This is evidenced by the fact that they do not have the production facilities to churn out the massive amounts of equipment and ammunition Ukraine is burning through. This cannot be remedied overnight, so instead we are now seeing countries transferring their armies supplies of weapons in the latest tranche. Estonia and Denmark have actually announced that they are transferring their complete stock of artillery pieces.

Anyway rambling away here, but was interesting watching the spectacle of Davos this year. You had people both calling for more support for climate change measures while Stoltenberg and Von der crazy were calling for more weapons to send to Ukraine. I don't think we will have to worry about climate change. As I said there will come a day when the Russians will have had enough, after multiple warnings which are laughed at or ignored and either there will be missiles flying into Nato bases to destroy them or something much worse.

My view remains unchanged in all of this, we are heading for the worst catastrophe since world war two and people don't give a fook or think its all some video game.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

But, but, but ........what about Paschal Donohoe's election expenses? :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Deputy ministers, officials and regional governors among those replaced as president seeks to clean up public life. Corruption in Ukraine - who would have thought it. :roll:

https://www.ft.com/content/9b5da3fc-d40 ... bdcbde594e
'no more blah blah blah'