Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The Banshees of Inisherin

The silver screen
Del.Monte
Verified Username

The Banshees of Inisherin

Post by Del.Monte »

I'm a fan of Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Martin McDonagh but can the movie possibly live-up to the sickening, sycophantic hype that has surrounded it in the media. Anybody seen it? I'll be waiting for the DVD release and then wait to buy it in a charity shop for 50 cents.

'no more blah blah blah'
Bishop_Brennan

Re: The Banshees of Inisherin

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

Looking forward to this one ..
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Yes I've seen it! It was a whimsical bit of work and very typical of Martin McDonagh fare. The acting was superb, the cinematography was superb, but the story was frankly weak. I loved Kerry Condon and Barry Keoghan in it - they stole the show for me.

I'd say it's worth seeing for the acting and scenery alone but to answer you initial point, I think the film is over praised mainly due to the bottomless appetite of Americans for this sort of stuff.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Cyclepath wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:31 pm Yes I've seen it! It was a whimsical bit of work and very typical of Martin McDonagh fare. The acting was superb, the cinematography was superb, but the story was frankly weak. I loved Kerry Condon and Barry Keoghan in it - they stole the show for me.

I'd say it's worth seeing for the acting and scenery alone but to answer you initial point, I think the film is over praised mainly due to the bottomless appetite of Americans for this sort of stuff.
I like Martin McDonagh's stuff - the blacker the better like "Six Shooter" and "In Bruges", and no problem with the Yanks lapping it up, but the the band-wagonners like Tubridy, Joe Duffy, Newstalk etc. make me want to spew.
'no more blah blah blah'
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Yes, I must admit that I'm generally turned off when too many eejits lavish praise on any piece of work 😂
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Haven’t seen it but the scenery looks exactly the same as out of Calvary, which was a great movie.
Avey Terrible

Post by Avey Terrible »

I think it's overhyped but still a good movie nonetheless.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

knownunknown wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:44 pm Haven’t seen it but the scenery looks exactly the same as out of Calvary, which was a great movie.
Like you I enjoyed the scenery in Calvary but thought the movie was rubbish.
'no more blah blah blah'
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

We saw it on Disney +.... I enjoyed it but just a bit let down at end at weak story. Apparently there was an analogy to the civil war underway on the mainland...

Post by 678904673 »

Saw it last week. Very well acted and directed, with some beautiful cinematography. There really isn't a whole lot to the story and it does drag a little at times. But overall worth a watch
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

The amount of "luvvys" backslapping each other on the News tonight was vomit inducing. So you can pretend to be somebody else in front of a camera, so fcuking what? Come back when you've achieved something in life.
Acting on stage is one thing, when you have one chance to get it right or look an idiot, but having the benefit of several, (or even several dozen) takes, is not a big deal in my estimation.
I've never understood the adulation or the money heaped on the film industry.
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

Can't stand Brendan Gleeson.
The simple faced gurning son of a turnip
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I'm looking forward to seeing it sometime. Just have not had a chance yet.

It seems to be doing well - 9 Oscar nominations. That's phenomenal.

One idle passing thing it has caused me to think is that Barry Keoghan can scrub up well. I have always found him unsettlingly odd looking and he often plays weird characters. But I caught sight of a photo of him in his blue suit recently and thought he looks well, albeit in an off beat way.

Another thought is dagnabbit but another whole generation of American people are being entrained by this film to see Oirish people in a certain way. A generally inaccurate way. ( I watched a couple of trailers - that's all I have for evidence).

I like the art of acting and appreciate actors, as I like films. It does take something special to make one suspend disbelief and commit to a story. The amount of bad acting shows up just how good the great actors are. It's a powerful medium.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

@isha

God be with the days when Ireland produced serious Oscar material like this. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I'm afraid the hype and especially the gushing over it as it's "one of our own done good" is turning me off ever watching it.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

isha wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:50 pm Another thought is dagnabbit but another whole generation of American people are being entrained by this film to see Oirish people in a certain way. A generally inaccurate way. ( I watched a couple of trailers - that's all I have for evidence).
This! It needs a general warning for all visiting Americans

"This film is based in the Ireland of 100 years ago. It is not a documentary. Please do not expect to find anything close to this level of Blarney in modern Ireland (unless we work in hospitality and are grifting for generous tips)"
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

This clip from the movie has gone viral, plus the story of Barry Keoghan.

I must admit I'm having a bit of a Barry moment, he is very endearing. This clip also makes me want to see the film because Kerry Condon is also very good in it.

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
KHD

Post by KHD »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:31 pm @isha

God be with the days when Ireland produced serious Oscar material like this. :mrgreen:

Great film, waiting patiently for the sequel. Any day now hopefully.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

KHD wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:09 pm Great film, waiting patiently for the sequel. Any day now hopefully.
I reviewed it here: https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/f/ - four turkeys - it's right up there. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
KHD

Post by KHD »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:26 pm I reviewed it here: https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/f/ - four turkeys - it's right up there. :mrgreen:
If there is anything I can say I've discovered in my experiences with this site at least I will always remember that a man called Del Monte introduced me to the action movie Fatal Deviation. I threw out and burned all my Chuck Norris video cassettes after watching it. :D
mmercedes84

Post by mmercedes84 »

Thought this was excellent.
Farrell is brilliant in it in fairness to him.

It's a very simple story but the genius in films sometimes are the acting and directing .

As for Tubridy and them I'm not sure egotists will understand the movie.So could be two potatoes in a field and they would gush. Interesting they love a movie about old Ireland given they seem to hate old Ireland so much.

It's melancholy movie, hits on depression and purpose of life.
Very well acted , Gleason was my least favorite in the movie.
I think Farrell really carries it, not the Barry chap.