Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Post what's on your mind

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Post what's on your mind

Post by CelticRambler »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:28 pm Do you ever think to yourselves gods but I belong in a different place or different time altogether.
Frequently. Especially when I'm coming close to the end of a contract in some far-flung urban landscape. Getting back to my unheated but largely self-contained hovel usually sorts the problem out. :mrgreen:
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

I notice KHD hasn't been about in a bit 🤔
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:49 pm I notice KHD hasn't been about in a bit 🤔
I bet he’s somewhere nice and sunny not worrying about us 8-) Maybe he can fill us in when he returns.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

He is probably away causing mayhem on some tractor site.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Big stalker head on me :? :lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Reckon he's still high from sniffing those seeds ... :shock:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Spoiler alert. This is dark. Skip if you're not in the mood.

I've just seen a video purportedly of a young man running through the dark streets in Dublin, crying, half naked, saying he has just been raped. Maybe this is some atavistic echo in me of a time I was a cruel ruler in a past life, but I actually don't mind at all if rapists are summarily executed. There. I said it. It enrages me beyond measure.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

Axel Rose used to wear a white leather jacket.
Is there anything better to tell people to go f themselves?
Thank you Axel, you mad Indiana red-haired bustard.
KHD

Post by KHD »

knownunknown wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:29 pm I bet he’s somewhere nice and sunny not worrying about us 8-) Maybe he can fill us in when he returns.
Unfortunately nowhere sunny just busy in work with early starts. Although at the end if all of this I'll probably need a week away somewhere sunny. Ye haven't got rid of me just yet. :D
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

KHD wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:55 pm Unfortunately nowhere sunny just busy in work with early starts. Although at the end if all of this I'll probably need a week away somewhere sunny. Ye haven't got rid of me just yet. :D
As mammy used to say 'the dead appeared and arose to many'

:mrgreen:

I should have added that she always got it wrong and that's what I found the funniest about it especially since wasn't deliberate :lol:
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Going for a new job, will know in the next few days. 🤞
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

knownunknown wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:49 pm Going for a new job, will know in the next few days. 🤞
Best of luck with it known.

Post by 678904673 »

Pay day tonight. Got a promotion is mid December and my increase kicks in from this pay packet. I'm excited to see how much extra I'm getting, while fearful about how much extra the tax man will take
KHD

Post by KHD »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:55 pm As mammy used to say 'the dead appeared and arose to many'

:mrgreen:

I should have added that she always got it wrong and that's what I found the funniest about it especially since wasn't deliberate :lol:
Watch out D, the Zombies are on their way to you as I type this post. 🧟‍♀️ 🧟‍♀️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♂️
KHD

Post by KHD »

CelticRambler wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:52 pm How to persuade my neighbour to sell me a bit of his field ...

Called in this afternoon to the local notaire (best source of independent property purchase advice in France) who confirmed that the idea is feasible, no strange restrictions in force in this area, no known re-zoning plans in the works. Should be about 3k all-in, including paying a surveyor to formally slice a 6000m² corner off a 64ha plot :shock: (I knew it was big, but not that big!) which I'd consider a bargain for what I'd be getting.

But the neighbour is not motivated by money, so I've got to come up with some good non-financial arguments to nudge him towards reducing the size of his empire. :?
Bit of advice on that CR, you need to look at it from the farmer's perspective. Is the plot you are looking at going to jut out from a perfectly straight field edge ? From memory he is a tillage farmer ? For example, if he has 400 meters of a perfectly straight boundary, and you look for 1.5 acres off him, if he is ploughing, spraying, sowing or cultivating with a large piece jutting out, it will have the effect of making things awkward for him having to deal with an otherwise straight line. If it is not a straight boundary, and you are looking to see if he interested in selling, make sure you have in your head how the operator of a tractor would have to deal with the rest of the side of the field with what you want to own. This is important as 3 grand and his field fecked up he won't be inclined I think to go ahead with something like that. If it is a case that you need to reduce what you want to buy you'll probably need to do that as your only going to get one shot at it.

You want to minimise the hassle for him and conv8nce him if a genuinereason for wanting it.. I was approached once by a neighbour but I refused simply because I didn't see him as having a genuine reason for wanting the strip he was after.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Thanks for the farmer's perspective, but it's actually the opposite. This is a grotty 6000m² bulge at the back end of his 64ha field, on which he planted a load of new oaks because he had to replace two lines of old oaks that he knocked. He's since had them re-planted twice because whatever he's done (or rather his contractors - he's a landowner, not a farmer :roll: ) the trees don't want to grow. My self-seeded oaks are twice and three times the height, and ten times the number.

I am wary of any request being turned down for reasons that have nothing to do with the merits of the proposal. My biggest concern in that regard is the continued presence of my felled oak trunks (originally his) on land owned by the council that stop a tractor from keeping the hedgerow tidy, and that hedgerow is the boundary of another one of his fields. Dealing with that is on the To Do list, but just now there are more things being urgently added to the List than coming off. :(
KHD

Post by KHD »

Can't really go into much detail on this but as with most people we get our share of ups and downs through life. As the cliché goes, we get through them, come out with more experience, in my case more empathy and understanding of people if you could call it that.

I did have one highly traumatic incident happen to me nearly twenty years ago, this went on for over two years. Its the only experience that has lead to me loosing part of me loosing something positive in my outlook in life. I've tried hard over the years to try and regain it but it has never come back. Although the experience was really bad and I am over it now, my outlook changed and creeps into my brain every once in a while and to this day still cannot comprehend it.

Anyway feel sorry about myself post done and dusted. Anyway to more important things in life and now to look for more dancing panda videos on YouTube.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

@KHD, I have a quote from a film I don't know the name of saved on my phone. The actor is Helena Bonham Carter. It could be from Fight Club. Anyways it makes a lot of sense to me.

"There are a lot of things that I used to be that I am no longer and there are a lot of things that I never thought I'd be that I unexpectedly am"

When stuff happens, life events and hard experiences, we are often altered. Sometimes that's in a good way you know, like have a deeper understanding of yourself and therefore others. Other times though we lose a part of ourselves and it can be different for different people. We can also act or feel in ways that we never thought we would. Maybe soft pieces get replaced by hard pieces and vice versa.

You aren't alone in how you feel K x
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Why am I up so early? Woke up at 4am and once I wake, I can't go back to sleep.....
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:56 am Why am I up so early? Woke up at 4am and once I wake, I can't go back to sleep.....
A scourge. I was only talking about this yesterday. I bet if you could get back in to bed at say 8 or 9am you'd be fast asleep.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:31 pm A scourge. I was only talking about this yesterday. I bet if you could get back in to bed at say 8 or 9am you'd be fast asleep.
Nope, I wouldn't nod off until 11 or 12. That's the usual time
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

What primary-school coder is responsible for Amazon Prime's software? How the hell can they categorise "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" and "Shakespeare in Love" under "Military and War" ... or "Doctor Who" under "Documentaries" ? :roll:
KHD

Post by KHD »

Every time I'm scrolling through songs on YouTube I get a band called Disturbed coming up with a sing called The sound of silence. No matter what type of music I'm scrolling through. I always refuse to click on it as judging by the face on the video its probably butchering the Simon & Garfunkel version.

Maybe the youtube algorithm is putting musical preferences into the disturbed category and throwing me out that band. Fook off Disturbed I'm not biting ever.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

KHD wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:28 pm Every time I'm scrolling through songs on YouTube I get a band called Disturbed coming up with a sing called The sound of silence. No matter what type of music I'm scrolling through. I always refuse to click on it as judging by the face on the video its probably butchering the Simon & Garfunkel version.

Maybe the youtube algorithm is putting musical preferences into the disturbed category and throwing me out that band. Fook off Disturbed I'm not biting ever.
They’ll get you with a misclick eventually :lol:
KHD

Post by KHD »

Flyer.
One for the road.
One for the other side of the road.
One for the ditch.