Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Too much sport on radio news bulletins?

All sports threads. We will distribute the threads into dedicated forums eg Soccer | Rugby | GAA etc as threads are posted.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Too much sport on radio news bulletins?

Post by Del.Monte »

Newstalk are particularly bad for this and the Breakfast programme is full of breathless reports on foreign soccer teams, golf tournaments that nobody apart from golf enthusiasts has ever heard of and, of course, desperately trying to find an Irish link no matter how tenuous. Thirty word pointless soundbites from some inevitably foreign manager leaving one no wiser. If you want sport listen to sports programmes - God knows there are more than enough of them. PS I am a sports fan. What does anybody else think?
'no more blah blah blah'

Re: Too much sport on radio news bulletins?

Post by 95438756 »

Radio 1 is worse.
Chunks of the morning Ireland and other programs.
And don't mention the weekend. Radio 1 turns into rte radio sport on Saturday and Sunday OM
Part of the agenda Del.
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

When you live outside Dublin it's worse because the choices are more limited.
If you do decide to not listen to 7 hours of sport on Radio 1 on a Sunday and listen to Today FM they remind you frequently of the score between Scrotham United Vs Scumsville Town. The whole effing reason I'm listening to you is so I don't have to listen to that !@##££.
I rant and rave about this frequently.

And don't get me started on RTE's Golf fetish.
I woke about 9 months ago to the top story on RTE Radio 1 news at 8AM "Countdown to the Ryder cup in Adare Manor 2027"!
There was shocking language out of me for a few hours after that.
I could go on but I won't.

Post by 678904673 »

I seldom listen to radio so thankfully oblivious to most of it
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Happy Days wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:37 am I seldom listen to radio so thankfully oblivious to most of it
Sadly, that's where it's driving me too. There's still BBC 4 and the World Service - NO Ads and no obsession with the latest meanderings of some pundit/soccer manager etc...
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

^^^ careful Del, I'm reporting you for mentioning the "P" word there. These individuals are local homogeneous experts. I mean they also get murals painted of the local heroes on the local walls!
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Any wonder why I listen to podcasts more and more?
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

I watch a fair amount of sport.
I like it and follow what I'm interested in.
I don't, however, need constant updates and reminders of it.
Constant opinion, obscure stats, and contrived emotional projection puts people off.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

I grew up playing Soccer and Rugby. Occasionally I'll watch hurling on TV, other than that, forget it. Even with my limited sporting interests, I think there's far too airtime given to meaninless prattle about players and games, however distant they may be in time. The English, for instance, still prattle on about the solitary world cup they won almost sixty years ago, even to this day you'll have TV programmes on deciphering and analysing every move, and endless new innovations in technology attempting to prove, beyond doubt, that the ball crossed the line for the third goal.
Only this morning, the weather was so bad that I turned on the TV, only to find some dickhead berating the referee from the infamous "hand of God" incident between England and Argentina, nearly forty years ago, asking him was he not ashamed of himself. Jesus wept. Granted the ref stands to make big bucks from the sale of the ball involved, but so what? It's over FFS, nothing can change the result, the player involved is in his grave, let it go.

Post by 95438756 »

^^^ Tad too depressing. My memory is the one of the french soccer player kicking the fan because he was so butthurt about the fan slagging him.
Then he abandoned the interview about it afterwords, saying "When the seagulls follow the trawler...."
And then ofcourse, our own Irish goon Roy Keane who would'nt play in Cheba in Japan in 2002. because the sports facilities were not up to snuff or somethin.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Spectator sports.

Literally for people with nothing better to do with their time than sit or stand around watching other people do something equally unproductive under the guise of 'sport', while other unproductive people bet their incomes away on the outcome.

Sadly, all idle traits often passed on to their reproductive progeny.

I gave up on radio years ago with that cacophony of blethering idiot 'sports pundits' making a racket about some version of kicky-ball being no small part in the motivation to do so.

What an absolutely waste of broadcast kilowatts. I'd rather listen to the sound of a brick in a cement mixer.
Mr Daniel F. O'Leary

Post by Mr Daniel F. O'Leary »

I hardly ever listen to the radio, except when my Dad has Newstalk on (which I absolutely loathe, BTW).

Apart from having too much sports coverage, you also have insufferable pundits/hosts and their talk shows, starting arguments over meaningless crap like crisp sandwiches and whatever is in the news at the moment, with ads about insurance and business solutions acting as a breakwater between it all.

Change the station, and it's the same crap but now with absolutely rubbish top 40 pop music as well.

There are some stations and radio programs (usually ran late at night) that do buck the trend of the above, but it is only a sliver of what Irish radio is actually like.

I mostly listen to podcasts myself and even if it has ads, you can skip them and there's far less than in a radio programme.

The content and topics of podcasts are also far more focused as well, from my experience.

Post by 678904673 »

Happened to have Radio 1 this morning for the first time in a while. They were talking about the Club finals and Crokes having 16 players on the pitch at the end. Granted it was a cock up but the way they were going on you'd swear it was a disaster on international proportions. Calm down lads. Calm down
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

It has been all over news bulletins today - sure the GAA is where we all belong!
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:12 pm It has been all over news bulletins today - sure the GAA is where we all belong!
Except if you're from the North and off a certain political belief :lol:

Post by 678904673 »

Jayus. RTE are getting some mileage out of the Club Final debacle. Thankfully the start of the Six Nations should consign it to the back pages for a while