Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Anyone still glued to this?

News, geopolitics, impact, consequences etc from the Ukraine Russia conflict
KHD

Re: Anyone still glued to this?

Post by KHD »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:18 pm Deputy ministers, officials and regional governors among those replaced as president seeks to clean up public life. Corruption in Ukraine - who would have thought it. :roll:

https://www.ft.com/content/9b5da3fc-d40 ... bdcbde594e
I was only finished watching some commentary on this, there is something going on. Arestovich got sacked last week and now this. Also interesting is the former Polish foreign minister and EU Parliament member, Radoslaw Sikorski's recent comments that the current Polish government contemplated in the first 10 days of the Russian invasion of going into Ukraine and taking back old Polish lands lost in Western Ukraine. This has been denied by the current Polish prime minister. Why would he make such a statement now a year later ?

Some interesting discussion on the above here.

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Who are these buckos? They come across as a pair of poor man's "Lord Haw Haw" and much as I have little time for the Ukrainian leadership this sort of biased shite would almost have me sending him a few bob. The truth still remains that Russia and Ukraine are two sides of the same coin - rotten from the top down - and should have been left off at the beginning to sort out their differences and it would have been over months ago - instead the West is being dragged ever closer to the Abyss.
'no more blah blah blah'
KHD

Post by KHD »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:53 pm Who are these buckos? They come across as a pair of poor man's "Lord Haw Haw" and much as I have little time for the Ukrainian leadership this sort of biased shite would almost have me sending him a few bob. The truth still remains that Russia and Ukraine are two sides of the same coin - rotten from the top down - and should have been left off at the beginning to sort out their differences and it would have been over months ago - instead the West is being dragged ever closer to the Abyss.
I find them good commentary but then again as you know I'm biased. :mrgreen:
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

KHD wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:08 am I disagree with you on tanks, they are still a necessary piece of kit on the battlefield, especially this type of high intensity war we are, they can hit targets accurately and at long range. Agree on the drones, they have an important function now for correcting artillery, reconnaissance and at striking targets and are used by both sides.

Ukraine had the largest and the best equipped army in Europe in my view at the start of the war. Large amounts of air defence systems, artillery, tanks, ammunition and even aircraft. And also an army that was well trained to use them. How much of that army is still in the field ? They took heavy losses capturing Kherson and Karkov. While it was publicised as a success in reality when the Russian forces retreated to better positions due to lack of depth and manpower in their defence,t he Ukrainian army got pummelled with artillery and lost alot of equipment and manpower. Same thing happening now in Bakhmut for the last number of weeks. There is now only one way out for any Ukrainian soldiers in Bakhmut and that is rapidly closing. Zaluzhny has reportedly pleaded with Zelinsky to allow withdrawal from these areas but it has been refused, even some US officials advised it until the new weaponry has arrived and troops reorganised and trained on them. There is this misconception that the Russians are sending wave after wave of infantry which is completely illogical and I dont see any evidence of this other than wishful thinking on the part of the western media. They are not fighting the war in this way but instead making use of long range artillery and other systems to minimise loses on their own troops and maximise the loses on the Ukrainian side.

Anyway, whatever your point of view / analysis of what you see etc one thing seems to be certain. There will be a day, when we all wake up one morning and within the next few months if not sooner in my opinion, where we will switch on the news and say to ourselves how the fook are we now in this situation ? During the cold war, there was always a view,by both the Russians and Americans that there are certain lines that we don't cross and if it was approaching an escalatery situation,, both sides would sit down and work something out and descalate. This is now gone. America and Russia need to sit down and sort this out, but they won't and unfortunately this will now be decided on the battlefieldand it will be under Russian terms in my view. Nato and European armies have turned out to be paper tigers with no capability for sustainment of a real war like what is currently happening in Ukraine. This is evidenced by the fact that they do not have the production facilities to churn out the massive amounts of equipment and ammunition Ukraine is burning through. This cannot be remedied overnight, so instead we are now seeing countries transferring their armies supplies of weapons in the latest tranche. Estonia and Denmark have actually announced that they are transferring their complete stock of artillery pieces.

Anyway rambling away here, but was interesting watching the spectacle of Davos this year. You had people both calling for more support for climate change measures while Stoltenberg and Von der crazy were calling for more weapons to send to Ukraine. I don't think we will have to worry about climate change. As I said there will come a day when the Russians will have had enough, after multiple warnings which are laughed at or ignored and either there will be missiles flying into Nato bases to destroy them or something much worse.

My view remains unchanged in all of this, we are heading for the worst catastrophe since world war two and people don't give a fook or think its all some video game.
There's footage of Russian infantry units of 6 to 8 men repeatedly probing into Ukraine areas looking for Ukraine positions and getting wiped out....happening over and over,until Russia can pinpoint the Ukrainian positions and then wipe them out

It was (and is) the only viable way,to overcome impass that developed (outside of using chemical weapons).......the fact them two come to a military stalemate and no serious effort was made to negotiate,says to me,there's feck all leadership between either of em and they are simply willing to see their troops slaughtered
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
KHD

Post by KHD »

Setanta wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:38 pm There's footage of Russian infantry units of 6 to 8 men repeatedly probing into Ukraine areas looking for Ukraine positions and getting wiped out....happening over and over,until Russia can pinpoint the Ukrainian positions and then wipe them out

It was (and is) the only viable way,to overcome impass that developed (outside of using chemical weapons).......the fact them two come to a military stalemate and no serious effort was made to negotiate,says to me,there's feck all leadership between either of em and they are simply willing to see their troops slaughtered
These are reconnaissance groups you describe. Both sides use these small groupings for discovery of targets etc. It's a dangerous job and no doubt Russian forces have dead and wounded because of these operations the same as the Ukrainans have. But the conduct of the Russians in having no problem retreating to save men, when they feel the position will be overwhelmed or the defense is not deep enough, as in the situation in Karkov and Kherson, is the key difference between Ukraine and Russia in the treatment of soldiers and equipment as i see it. The Ukrainians will become entrenched in positions that are undefendable, even to the point where we've seen in Soladar that they continue to send men in when the only result is that these soldiers will inevitably be killed like all before them. This is what's going on in Bakhmut at the moment.

As regard to the war being static, it may look static but it is not and never has been. There has been either positional or attritional battles between both sides along the whole battle front, with the loses of huge amounts of soldiers. Just that now we see, on the one hand Russia has built up massive numbers of men and equipment and is now slowly but methodically, grinding down and slowly moving forward and on the other side Ukraine launching counter offensives or on the back foot that are being pushed back and urgently needing weapons supplies. They are out matched now in equipment, sustainment and man power.

Anyway I'm fagged our here with all of this and up in the morning again at an ungodly hour. I'll leave the rest to Colonel MacGregor to explain, this time been interviewed by a guy from Norway called Glenn Diesen, who is a great geopolitical analyst and for a change asks him the right questions. To me this man is the most level headed and sensible commentator on this war and has the military experience to tease out what's currently going on in Ukraine and gets past drivel we are being fed on this on a daily basis.

I was thinking today, for all you offended by what I post on this subject I will happily sit here in 6 months time and happily face the p1ss taking and humiliation if im not booted out of the place.. This is my opinion from following all this closely on a daily basis, and by being suspicious as to what I read. I'm been honest in what way I think what's going on in this war. Gubunor would probably do me a favour if he could fecking ban me from this thread entirely. Anyway have to go. 💤 😴

Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Well KHD, I think it would be a pity if you were banned or left. A skeptical outlook is handy to keep us "war, f**k ya!" merchants & 27 star armchair generals in place.

I was of the opinion that if Ukraine had the weapons, they have the cop-on to push the Russians out. Now I'm not too sure after reading some of your contributions.....
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Does the UN have anything to say these days or have they disbanded? :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

League of Nations comes to mind with regard to the UN
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

As with the Covid topic, be prepared to cheerfully hold minority views. To know that even if the whole world and your neighbours tell you you are completely wrong, that it may turn out to be otherwise.
Time will tell. Life is complex.

Anyway, in general, I think it is incredibly boring (and suspect!) if everyone has the same opinion about everything. I have been pro peace negotiations re the Ukrainian war since the beginning. All that has belligerently and recklessly unfolded from every side since then has astonished me.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
KHD

Post by KHD »

What an idiot.

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

KHD wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:56 pm What an idiot.

They should give her a gun and send her to the front. Yet another brain-dead idiot.
'no more blah blah blah'
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

This isn’t about defending Ukraine, this is about retaking Crimea and getting Ukraine into nato. Two things that would cause peace if Ukraine would just agree.
KHD

Post by KHD »

I see Lockheed Martin announced in the media yesterday that it is ready to increase production of F-16 fighter jets. From the various utterances around Europe I think this will be the next wonder weapon to be supplied to Ukraine. I've no doubt ATACMs will also be eventually given. As with the tanks, personally I don't see any of this making any difference, the F-16s and Atacms will be just shot out of the sky like everything else.

Interesting bit of a twitter thread from retired Lieutenant General Mark Hertling to a response from someone replying to him that he basically knew nothing about tanks. Well worth a read to get some understanding and comparing it to what is being uttered in the media from the so called experts and our rabble of European political leaders.i liked the qoute "Everyone is an M1 expert, until they break"

Reason I bring up the tanks again, there was a security expert from some university in the UK being interviewed on RTE news yesterday evening and it completely contradicts what Mark Hertling says about the Abrams tanks. Also he was so clueless he didn't even get the number of the last mobilisation in Russia right.

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I am also intrigued by all the nonsense from different 'experts' about the M1 Abrams US tanks. Many say they are unsuitable due to the need for jet fuel for their gas guzzling engines while now there's a mad rush to send them? Meanwhile Castro/Zelenskyy is encouraged by all the support from his 'allies' and won't entertain talk of negotiations.....a recipe for disaster.
'no more blah blah blah'
KHD

Post by KHD »

I had a long feckin email typed out and was depressing myself in the process. So I back spaced everything and will just post the following two links. The first one might be of interest with regard to the current mass mobilisation going on in Ukraine. It looks like the Ukrainian embassies in foreign countries may be playing a more active role in the current Ukrainian mobilisation. The thing I find sad though is that they are also including kids 16 years and over for conscription.

https://visitukraine.today/blog/1390/mi ... bligations

The second link which is MacGregor again, mostly information already given, but he also confirmed that 16 year olds are being mobilised as per the official Ukrainian announcement linked in the above article, that there are some people at official level in Washington that are now having concerns at the direction the war is going to and that have come to the realisation that Ukraine can't win this. He also said that there is a practice of officers bringing reservists to the front lines and leaving them there and feckin off, knowing full well they are going to be killed, guess what though, Zelensky signed an order yesterday that compels NCOs and Officers to remain on the front line along with their troops.

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

That's depressing alright.

Out of interest I checked age of compulsory conscription worldwide. Always 18 or 19, voluntary at 17 in some places, rarely 16 voluntarily. But interestingly Norway has a possibility to introduce conscription at 16 in time of war.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... by_country

It's just horrible.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
KHD

Post by KHD »

Not sure if I mentioned this before but it hasn't been in the mainstream media but is in the Polish media, Poland is mobilising 200,000 people currently for military service. NATO announced some time back that they are creating a 300000 strong rapid reaction force, not sure if the Polish mobilisation is relayed to this or the intention of using them for a possible future intervention in western Ukraine. I'm only speculating on all of this. Depends on how far Russia goes which nobody knows at this point as tge escalation continues to evolve.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I hope that all the mobilisation in Poland is "Just in Case". I have my fingers crossed (but I fear I may be wrong).

Russia has a huge population and the Russian military strategy was throw bodies at the population. In order not to get overwhelmed, you have to be able to match it in some fashion.

Unless Ukraine manages a big push this summer and retake a load of territory, or an unlikely overthrow of Putin, I'm thinking this could last year's.

What's tempering that though is that Russia is using older and older gear dragged from storage and the equipment wasn't stored that well. I wonder will the next Russian offensive be a bit like the Nazi offensive in the Ardennes in winter '44. That depleted most Nazi reserves.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Zelesnky’s recent request for arms included a request for electrical equipment also. Over 40% of Ukraine’s electrical grid is damaged with 17 million people regularly experiencing outages or having it gone entirely.

Sun Tzu said: “ Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting”.

Zelensky said “ The very fact that Russia is resorting to energy terrorism shows the weakness of our enemy,” he said. “They cannot beat Ukraine on the battlefield, so they try to break our people this way.”

Sun Tzu said: “ You can be sure of succeeding in your attacks if you only attack places which are undefended.”
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

They are prepared to go into the Empire for war and peace and treaties, and to keep out for other matters, and that is what the Irish people have got to know is the difference. Does all this quibble of words —because it is merely a quibble of words—mean that Ireland is asked to throw away this Treaty and go back to war? So far as my power or voice extends, not one young Irishman's life shall be lost on that quibble.

We owe responsibility to the Irish people. I feel my responsibility to the Irish people, and the Irish people must know, and know in every detail, the difference that exists between us, and the Irish people must be our judges. When the plenipotentiaries came back they were sought to be put in the dock. Well, if I am going to be tried, I am going to be tried by the people of Ireland (hear, hear). Now this Treaty has been attacked. It has been examined with a microscope to find its defects, and this little thing and that little thing has been pointed out, and the people are told—one of the gentlemen said it here—that it was less even than the proposals of July. It is the first Treaty between the representatives of the Irish Government and the representatives of the English Government since 1172 signed on equal footing. It is the first Treaty that admits the equality of Ireland. It is a Treaty of equality, and because of that I am standing by it. We have come back from London with that Treaty—Saorstat na hEireann recognised—the Free State of Ireland. We have brought back the flag; we have brought back the evacuation of Ireland after 700 years by British troops and the formation of an Irish army (applause). We have brought back to Ireland her full rights and powers of fiscal control. We have brought back to Ireland equality with England, equality with all nations which form that Commonwealth, and an equal voice in the direction of foreign affairs in peace and war. Well, we are told that that Treaty is a derogation from our status; that it is a Treaty not to be accepted, that it is a poor thing, and that the Irish people ought to go back and fight for something more, and that something more is what I describe as a quibble of words. Now, I shall have an opportunity later on of replying to the very formidably arranged criticism that is going to be levelled at the Treaty to show its defects. At all events, the Irish people are a people of great common sense. They know that a Treaty that gives them their flag and their Free State and their Army (cheers) is not a sham Treaty.”

A war fought in one’s own country cannot be but a lost war and I believe Arthur Griffith(Sinn Fein - minister for foreign affairs) recognised this in 1921. https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/de ... 1-12-19/2/
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Poland is preparing thousands upon thousands of Jeeps/4x4.....lad in work is from near the Poland/Ukraine border and his brother is spraying up vehicles with weeks,shown me pics of fields of jeeps
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Clifford peeples the founder of the lvf is out there fighting for Ukraine

For one tiny incident,I might side with Russia
KHD

Post by KHD »

Anyway on a lighter note I came across this article with regard to the Challenger 2 tank.

https://inews.co.uk/news/ukraine-war-ch ... er-2112264

The title is - Ukraine war: Best thing about Challenger 2 tank is ‘kettle’ for making tea, says ex British Army commander

Very funny read, the former commander's last name is Crump, I imagine his nickname was Mr Crumpets amongst his colleagues given how much he valued the tea making abilities of the tank.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

What if the whole thing is a feint by the Commies to draw all NATO's tanks etc. into the Ukraine and weaken their defences elsewhere? The UK's remaining two tanks, one platoon of horse guards and two leaky aircraft carriers won't be able to do much. They will probably be begging Ireland for a loan of the Sliabh na mBan (Michael Collins' armoured car).
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

The UK will be fine. The last invasion was the Normans about 1000 years ago.

I'm thinking would Putin want to emulate Peter the Great. After all, he reached Paris....