Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Annoyances & Irritations

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.

Re: Annoyances & Irritations

Post by 678904673 »

On the whole dry January thing. My OH is on social media. She was telling me the amount of posts she's seen of people congratulating themselves on "getting through" dry January. I'm sorry. But unless you're an alcoholic, not drinking for a month isn't much of an achievement
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Happy Days wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:43 pm On the whole dry January thing. My OH is on social media. She was telling me the amount of posts she's seen of people congratulating themselves on "getting through" dry January. I'm sorry. But unless you're an alcoholic, not drinking for a month isn't much of an achievement
Oh true!! I was skint for the most of it so it was no hardship!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:22 pm I speak as a Dry January survivor with two hangovers this month - hang in there you shiny star you!!!
Thanks for the encouragement PS 8-) Since Covid I've been drinking more and I also do that thing where you've had a tough day at work and you reach for a beer/wine. That's new. So I'm trying to be better without giving myself a hard time because that doesn't do any good.

Something I notice among some people who have either given up booze or never drank is a sort of smugness and looking down their noses at those who take a drink. It's the other side of people who pressure or take the píss out of you if you don't drink. Both positions I can't stand.

Regarding your friend. One person needs to break the ice but that doesn't mean it has to be an apology. Maybe you could make the first move?
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

Happy Days wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:43 pm On the whole dry January thing. My OH is on social media. She was telling me the amount of posts she's seen of people congratulating themselves on "getting through" dry January. I'm sorry. But unless you're an alcoholic, not drinking for a month isn't much of an achievement
One person's no big deal is another person's achievement you know.

Oh! The dog. Our neighbours have a small yappy little yoke and today is the first all week that he hasn't gone crazy. Husband and I have had dark thoughts :?

Post by 95438756 »

Left the house yesterday in the early bank holiday monday afternoon. Toddled down to the local Tesco. Outside the store was bedlam. Chock a block. Did'nt bother venturing in.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:06 pm Thanks for the encouragement PS 8-) Since Covid I've been drinking more and I also do that thing where you've had a tough day at work and you reach for a beer/wine. That's new. So I'm trying to be better without giving myself a hard time because that doesn't do any good.

Something I notice among some people who have either given up booze or never drank is a sort of smugness and looking down their noses at those who take a drink. It's the other side of people who pressure or take the píss out of you if you don't drink. Both positions I can't stand.

Regarding your friend. One person needs to break the ice but that doesn't mean it has to be an apology. Maybe you could make the first move?
I did - I hope it will be ok. I am the most insecure person in the world and when I don’t get to see her I feel it’s like an out of sight, out of mind thing.

But that’s on me not her like!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

I read about a guy that does "no shit February"
No number twos for the whole month
Loads up on Immodium every morning - apparently does the trick.
Interesting challenge.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

FFS - I thought the Germans were supposed to be efficient and environmentally responsible?

Placed an order with a not-Amazon retailer for two new 230V Euro sockets for the camper, and this is how they were delivered:

Yeah, there was a wadge of scrunched up brown paper stuffing in there aswell, but FFS. :evil:

It's a very sturdy box, though. The kind you'd keep, in case it came in handy in the future ... :?
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

At least you got a strong box......

Generally when I order something from Germany, it comes in a sturdy enough box, sturdy enough to rival a wet tea bag
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:43 pm The powerhose shat itself today. Feckin' mid job and all.....

PSA - Don't get Lavor power washers!
After pondering what to do and getting stupid quotes to fix ("ah you can't get that fixed, it's a whole new hose and gun you need at €250"), I seriously looked at getting a Kranzle.

Then, I knocked across two sites in Italy selling parts after eventually figuring out the part number. Found the hose at €37 or €68 delivered. The €37 one is due Monday.

I wasn't spending more than that as the motor makes funny noises at times......
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

I'm spread way too thin at work and Im concerned I'm neglecting important aspects of my job such as H&S.

Post by 678904673 »

Posters who loudly announce they are stepping back from a thread yet continue to post no stop. Not so much a problem here as other chat boards

Post by 678904673 »

People who think using their hazard lights gives them a licence to park anywhere
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

A gang of “new Irish” blocking the pavement earlier following a funeral - asked politely may someone pass rather than go into the road and this yeti sized bitch threatens to “cut” her!!

I’m 10 feet behind and just said “EXCUSE ME!!” - I don’t threaten easily!! Gobshite had a go at me and was impolitely told to go fck himself.

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

If you are having a bad day remember me who decided I would check out my daughters left behind Chlorhexidine mouthwash, swigged a bit, swished it round, it went up me nose and gave me a fright, so I reflexively swallowed a small bit before spitting the rest out. It says Do Not Swallow on the bottle. Twice. So if you don't hear from me again twas the Chlorhexidine what done for me. 😭
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 678904673 »

When you're in a queue and the person behind you is so close to you that you can feel their breathe on your neck. I'm not looking for 2 meters. But I'd perfer not to feel like they're about to dry hump me
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:54 pm FFS - I thought the Germans were supposed to be efficient and environmentally responsible?

Placed an order with a not-Amazon retailer for two new 230V Euro sockets for the camper, and this is how they were delivered:

Yeah, there was a wadge of scrunched up brown paper stuffing in there aswell, but FFS. :evil:

It's a very sturdy box, though. The kind you'd keep, in case it came in handy in the future ... :?
German over-engineering is notorious.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

isha wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:43 am If you are having a bad day remember me who decided I would check out my daughters left behind Chlorhexidine mouthwash, swigged a bit, swished it round, it went up me nose and gave me a fright, so I reflexively swallowed a small bit before spitting the rest out. It says Do Not Swallow on the bottle. Twice. So if you don't hear from me again twas the Chlorhexidine what done for me. 😭
Hey Isha, I'd say you're grand out. I checked the MSDS there for a 20% solution and for hazards, the only thing if note is "May cause damage to organs (Liver) through prolonged or repeated exposure"

As long as you don't make a habit of drinking it by the bottle, you'll be grand.

Also, it says " If swallowed, DO NOT induce vomiting. Get medical attention if symptoms occur. Rinse mouth thoroughly with water"
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Also, it doesn't say what the symptoms are. Typical!
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:57 pm Hey Isha, I'd say you're grand out. I checked the MSDS there for a 20% solution and for hazards, the only thing if note is "May cause damage to organs (Liver) through prolonged or repeated exposure"

As long as you don't make a habit of drinking it by the bottle, you'll be grand.

Also, it says " If swallowed, DO NOT induce vomiting. Get medical attention if symptoms occur. Rinse mouth thoroughly with water"
So far I'm completely okay. Perhaps a tad more dark of soul than on an average day. But there are probably good causes for that. The only sympathy I got here was himself saying ''That'll teach ya. Don't do it again.'' :?
I drank a glass of milk on account of some weird idea in my head that the fat in the milk would bind to any potential poison.
I know it seems a weird thing to have even noticed but there are reasons why I am particularly aware of and have a lifelong fear of swallowing poison stuff - reasons that are far too dark and awful to ever divulge!!! :shock:
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Well, Isha, just to freak you out, drinking about 2l of ultra-pure water has a 50% chance of killing you so ANYTHING can be a poison.

The problem is the ultra-pure water flushed out the essential minerals from the system. Yes, we evolved to drink slightly impure water.....
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:03 pmI drank a glass of milk on account of some weird idea in my head that the fat in the milk would bind to any potential poison.
Yah ... not such a weird idea, as that can be the case with some molecules. The only problem is that fat is a solvent, so if the poison you have in mind is fat-soluble, you risk increasing the amount that enters your bloodstream instead of letting it get whooshed off into your colon and back out into nature. :geek:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

In my youth I could drink 16-20 pints of harp on a night out. Never ever done me any harm :lol: :lol:
I just flushed out the poison with more lager :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

kadman wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:55 pm In my youth I could drink 16-20 pints of harp on a night out. Never ever done me any harm :lol: :lol:
I knew there had to be somebody who drank the stuff - now I know. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

kadman wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:55 pm In my youth I could drink 16-20 pints of harp on a night out. Never ever done me any harm :lol: :lol:
Ah, Sally O'Brien, and the way she might look at you, drove many a youth to similar folly.