Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Annoyances & Irritations

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Re: Annoyances & Irritations

Post by JayZeus »

Harp.

I poured gallons of the stuff down the drain in a pub I worked in 30 years ago. All in bottles gone out of date. Not one of us was interested in even giving it a sip to see if it was still drinkable.

It never was in the first place as far as I could tell.

Had someone hand me a pint today with a priests collar on it. Get to f.. :x

Anyone standing behind a bar who can't pull a decent pint should be sweeping the floors and cleaning the toilets instead.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

marhay70 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:58 pm Ah, Sally O'Brien, and the way she might look at you, drove many a youth to similar folly.
Well in all fairness she probably looked like Sally O brian after that amount of pints :lol:

I have matured some what now, as i spent too many days after nights out, working at height on demolition.

And my tastes are more refined to top shelf Jameson whisky, on the odd occasion, and guiness. :D
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

My birthday present to myself arrived and it's too small. A lovely jumper. It's short and given my lack of flatness makes me look like a little...I dunno......egg or something.
The arms chest and shoulders fit perfectly but belly not so much :?

I've been struggling lately with a changing body shape. Since turning 40 I can't seem to lose weight and it's going to places it didn't used too. I'm not a naturally thin person, I've always had curves even at my smallest.

The shop (Sezané) I bought the jumper from is one of my absolute favourites. Unfortunately seeing their models is impacting upon me and I had thought my sense of self was stronger than that. Each time I look at the site I'm focused on how beautiful and gazelle like the women are and it reinforces the negative rubbish in my head.

Sorry I know this isn't a therapy session :oops:
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:53 pm My birthday present to myself arrived and it's too small. A lovely jumper. It's short and given my lack of flatness makes me look like a little...I dunno......egg or something.

I've been struggling lately with a changing body shape. Since turning 40 I can't seem to lose weight and it's going to places it didn't used too. I'm not a naturally thin person, I've always had curves even at my smallest.

The shop (Sezané) I bought the jumper from is one of my absolute favourites. Unfortunately seeing their models is impacting upon me and I had thought my sense of self was stronger than that. Each time I look at the site I'm focused on how beautiful and gazelle like the women are and it reinforces the negative rubbish in my head.

Au Cointreau!!!!

It is exactly that - we’re here!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:53 pm My birthday present to myself arrived and it's too small. A lovely jumper. It's short and given my lack of flatness makes me look like a little...I dunno......egg or something.

I bought a jumper online last year. It looked so gorgeous in the pictures, a delicate wool, a lovely pattern and colour. It fits. But it makes me look like I am always instantly ready to take part in a line-dance or a hoe-down. Nothing like the online pictures of the lady wearing it. If I was a girl-cowboy it would be just the jumper for me. It looks fecken ridiculous :lol:

Growing older is not for wimps, but you have to take heart and LOVE yourself, because the alternative is worse. Happy HAPPY Birthday x
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Got a mortgage last October. Well before we even signed anything I made it explicitly clear that we wanted it semi monthly, because that is how I get paid. They said it can't be set up like that in the beginning but that we can change it after it is all set up. To do this either me or my OH has to physically go in to a branch to make the change.
A week or so after all the papers were signed and filed my OH went in to the branch to make the change. I couldn't make it due to work.
Fast forward to Saturday and I open a letter from the bank.
"Due to you not honoring your mortgage agreement we're going to fine you $48." Basically.
I was in shock. I've been super militant about getting the money into the account on time. I call my OH from the other room, she was about to nap, and we log into the account online. We look over the last few months of transactions and from what we see it looks like we had the money in the account for the 1st and 15th every time. We called them up, while on hold my OH went to the details page of the mortgage. It was still set to bi-weekly.
I got pretty irate on the phone when the person on the other end of the line basically gas lit us saying we never went in any branch, there is no record of any of that on our file, yadda yadda. After I hung up we searched for the paper that she remembers getting on the day she was there. We couldn't find it BUT then she remembered that she had sent me a video of the interaction with the clerk. In the video, taken with consent, it is clearly audible that the clerk said she made the change and it will now be on the 1st and 15th of every month. So, since it was a Saturday I calmed down a but and went about the rest of my day. It's now Monday. OH will be picking me up at lunch time. We will be going in to the branch, explaining what happened and then showing them the video. We will the insist they not only remove the $48 but expunge the entire occurrence of a fee completely from the system.
I already told the OH that she should do the talking since I might just lose it.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

isha wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:12 pm I bought a jumper online last year. It looked so gorgeous in the pictures, a delicate wool, a lovely pattern and colour. It fits. But it makes me look like I am always instantly ready to take part in a line-dance or a hoe-down. Nothing like the online pictures of the lady wearing it. If I was a girl-cowboy it would be just the jumper for me. It looks fecken ridiculous :lol:

Growing older is not for wimps, but you have to take heart and LOVE yourself, because the alternative is worse. Happy HAPPY Birthday x
I bet you look fabulous in it :D Always our own worst critics.

Thanks Isha. I'm a week early with the present buying but I do consider February to be Birthday Month :lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Norman Breaks wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:44 pm Got a mortgage last October. Well before we even signed anything I made it explicitly clear that we wanted it semi monthly, because that is how I get paid. They said it can't be set up like that in the beginning but that we can change it after it is all set up. To do this either me or my OH has to physically go in to a branch to make the change.
A week or so after all the papers were signed and filed my OH went in to the branch to make the change. I couldn't make it due to work.
Fast forward to Saturday and I open a letter from the bank.
"Due to you not honoring your mortgage agreement we're going to fine you $48." Basically.
I was in shock. I've been super militant about getting the money into the account on time. I call my OH from the other room, she was about to nap, and we log into the account online. We look over the last few months of transactions and from what we see it looks like we had the money in the account for the 1st and 15th every time. We called them up, while on hold my OH went to the details page of the mortgage. It was still set to bi-weekly.
I got pretty irate on the phone when the person on the other end of the line basically gas lit us saying we never went in any branch, there is no record of any of that on our file, yadda yadda. After I hung up we searched for the paper that she remembers getting on the day she was there. We couldn't find it BUT then she remembered that she had sent me a video of the interaction with the clerk. In the video, taken with consent, it is clearly audible that the clerk said she made the change and it will now be on the 1st and 15th of every month. So, since it was a Saturday I calmed down a but and went about the rest of my day. It's now Monday. OH will be picking me up at lunch time. We will be going in to the branch, explaining what happened and then showing them the video. We will the insist they not only remove the $48 but expunge the entire occurrence of a fee completely from the system.
I already told the OH that she should do the talking since I might just lose it.
Oooof. That puts my banking annoyance into perspective.

Got an e-mail with an "important" flag attached. Okeydoke, better see what they want.
:arrow: Try to log in using usual banking laptop; "it's been more than thirty days since your last confession - you need to confirm your identity; please enter the code we've sent by SMS to your [completely insecure] mobile phone."
:arrow: Go looking for phone, receive code, enter it on log-in screen. "This device is not recognised, please click the link in the e-mail we've just sent to authorise it". FFS.
:arrow: Collect e-mail, click link, get through to account dashboard.
:arrow: Red message flag on the envelope icon; click, takes me to "messages" tab, with red message flag against the "new messages" sub-menu. FFS.
:arrow: Click new messages sub-menu, new message subject line in bold "important account information"
:arrow: Click subject line "You have received a payment." WTF??? :evil:

Yeah, I know I've received a payment because my balance is higher than it was when I checked it on Friday (when, BTW, I didn't have to jump through all these identity-confirming hoops on the same fekkin laptop) .. but if ye really wanted to share the good news, why the feck didn't ye just say that in the first e-mail? Or send me a text. :roll:

They picked a bad week to annoy me, because my "back-up" bank has offered me 70€ to switch to using them as my main account. Yep; I think it's time. :twisted:

Post by 678904673 »

Bought a new work keyboard. However the Caps Lock is very sensitive. There I am bashing away only to look up and realise I've typed the last few paragraphs all in caps:(
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Happy Days wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:13 am Bought a new work keyboard. However the Caps Lock is very sensitive. There I am bashing away only to look up and realise I've typed the last few paragraphs all in caps:(
I don't know if this is a thing but it should be - to be able to select a chunk of text and DE-CAPTILISE everything that is not after a full stop.

Is this my billionairess-making invention?
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I regularly leave "the shouting key" on and your invention would save me a lot of time - bring it on! :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

When you decide that Today's The Day for one of those long-fingered optional maintenance-and-upgrade jobs. One for which you did research, order and receive the necessary parts (some time ago) but just never got around to the actual work, because it means breaking something to make it better, and also it's the kind of job that needs to be done in one go.

But Today's The Day, so out you go, armed with the new parts and all required tools. Should be straightforward - undo part A from part B, remove, fit new part C to A, and fit old part B to C. Repeat on t'other side. Job done. New, exciting opportunities await.

Only when you remove part B, you find that whatever it says (in Chinese) on the label affixed to part A - identical to the label on part D, being the opposite end of part B and from where you took all your measurements, part A is not in fact identical to part D, and a 1mm difference in diameter means nothing fits correctly. :evil:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:36 am When you decide that Today's The Day for one of those long-fingered optional maintenance-and-upgrade jobs. One for which you did research, order and receive the necessary parts (some time ago) but just never got around to the actual work, because it means breaking something to make it better, and also it's the kind of job that needs to be done in one go.

But Today's The Day, so out you go, armed with the new parts and all required tools. Should be straightforward - undo part A from part B, remove, fit new part C to A, and fit old part B to C. Repeat on t'other side. Job done. New, exciting opportunities await.

Only when you remove part B, you find that whatever it says (in Chinese) on the label affixed to part A - identical to the label on part D, being the opposite end of part B and from where you took all your measurements, part A is not in fact identical to part D, and a 1mm difference in diameter means nothing fits correctly. :evil:
I never knew you worked to such fine tolerances.......I'm impressed now :lol: :lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I'm happy to work to +/-5cm for most purposes, but the liquids in some of the machinery I use are a bit more sensitive to this kind of thing. :(

With a bit of luck, my Chinese saleswoman is still in the same job and can give me the exact spec, coz as far as I can work out, it doesn't seem to be anything from the BSP, NPT or DIN ranges. :cry:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:36 pm I'm happy to work to +/-5cm for most purposes ...
That said, I'm (wood)working on a sort of training exercise at the moment, and greatly annoyed at finding that one 15° cut is 2mm off where it should have been, because I marked the guideline on the reverse of the piece using the reference line from the front. Really annoyed about that, as I'd up to that point, I'd been especially careful, and even remembered to take account of the 0.9mm blade kerf. :x
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:36 pm I'm happy to work to +/-5cm for most purposes, but the liquids in some of the machinery I use are a bit more sensitive to this kind of thing. :(

With a bit of luck, my Chinese saleswoman is still in the same job and can give me the exact spec, coz as far as I can work out, it doesn't seem to be anything from the BSP, NPT or DIN ranges. :cry:
Just when I thought you were saved...you go and tell me that you are happy to be within 4" of what you want....aw feck. :mrgreen:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

You gonna have to improve them skills before you post your door thread....otherwise I am going to get Gubunor to show it to you...The Door, and close it on yer way out :lol:
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

Recruitment agencies acting like tarts.
With me, they just lost themselves an experienced candidate.
All because one lad was getting excited because I didn't ring him back.
It's called working full-time.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Mirabeau wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:29 pm Recruitment agencies acting like tarts.
With me, they just lost themselves an experienced candidate.
All because one lad was getting excited because I didn't ring him back.
It's called working full-time.
I had something like that in the past, someone not realizing that when at work, calls can't be answered. Years ago, I was with a telephone company that sounded like FlodaFlone. I had two mobiles with them on the one account, my own and one for the parents. I was at work so the phone was left in the car (no phones allowed on site). I finished work and saw two missed calls from an unknown number. I thought "ah well" and gave it no more though.

Talking to the parents a day or so later, I got the story. The rep from FlodaFlone rang me to sell an upgrade (I was going out of contract) and couldn't reach me (as I was at work). Not getting an answer, the rep rang the other number on the account and got the mother. The rep was looking for "the account holder" and was slightly annoyed that I didn't answer. The mother explained in her simple direct fashion that I was at work and couldn't answer the phone. The rep didn't take the hint and asked what sort of place did I work that couldn't allow me to answer the phone. The mothers answer was something like "when he's at work, he's paid to work and not take silly sales calls from companies" . The rep didn't like that....

And yes, he was stupid enough to ring back a few weeks later!

Edit. I think the mother may have used words like "Are you stupid, he's at work. Of course he can't answer the phone"
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

^^ He must have gotten a new job as a recruiter.
Sounds like the same ballbag.

Post by 678904673 »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:43 pm I had something like that in the past, someone not realizing that when at work, calls can't be answered. Years ago, I was with a telephone company that sounded like FlodaFlone. I had two mobiles with them on the one account, my own and one for the parents. I was at work so the phone was left in the car (no phones allowed on site). I finished work and saw two missed calls from an unknown number. I thought "ah well" and gave it no more though.

Talking to the parents a day or so later, I got the story. The rep from FlodaFlone rang me to sell an upgrade (I was going out of contract) and couldn't reach me (as I was at work). Not getting an answer, the rep rang the other number on the account and got the mother. The rep was looking for "the account holder" and was slightly annoyed that I didn't answer. The mother explained in her simple direct fashion that I was at work and couldn't answer the phone. The rep didn't take the hint and asked what sort of place did I work that couldn't allow me to answer the phone. The mothers answer was something like "when he's at work, he's paid to work and not take silly sales calls from companies" . The rep didn't like that....

And yes, he was stupid enough to ring back a few weeks later!

Edit. I think the mother may have used words like "Are you stupid, he's at work. Of course he can't answer the phone"
Many moons ago I worked for a company that sounded like Flodafone. The call you got was from The Outbound team as they were then known. It was all commission based and their basic salary was a pittance.
They were all fairly sound except one guy who fancied himself as the Gordon Gekko of the sales world. I kid you not he actually wore brightly coloured braces and had a sign on his desk saying "Sell like an ace. Live like a King".
Suffice to say he was a total tosser
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Reminded me of a funny story - a mobile network that is named after a number under 5 shall we say … on their “live chat”

I wanted to cancel the second phone I had on my account for my dad when he passed away. They repeated ad nauseum that they can only take this from the person who is named as the user.

After ages of me arguing I’m the main account holder and that my dad had passed away - I snapped and told them I hoped they could ask him in person!!!

Called them instead, spoke to a guy in limerick - sorted in five mins!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

Cobham

Post by Cobham »

I had the sad job of trying to close a phone account on behalf of a friend who had died. They insisted on a death certificate.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Cobham wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:56 pm I had the sad job of trying to close a phone account on behalf of a friend who had died. They insisted on a death certificate.
I understand there are protocols and procedures but they could be achieved with compassion.

nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:34 am I understand there are protocols and procedures but they could be achieved with compassion.
Too many computer-says-no people working in these roles. No cop on.

I absolutely despise them.