Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Burke family, Castlebar

The burning issues of the day
Guburnor
Site Admin

Re: Burke family, Castlebar

Post by Guburnor »

KHD wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:56 pm Ciara Kelly is one of Ireland's greatest broadcasters. :mrgreen:
Never mind a thread ban, you are risking a permanent site ban with comments like that.
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

gugleguy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:31 pm If this thread is locked or closed before any poster being banned first, nobody wins.
Nobody wins unless everybody wins.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:53 pm Nobody wins unless everybody wins.
Yippee, prize for me! What do I win?

Post by 95438756 »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:52 am Yippee, prize for me! What do I win?
Can you get a Top Badge like Facebook? :roll:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

gugleguy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:11 am Can you get a Top Badge like Facebook? :roll:
Gold star maybe?

Better ask the Guburnor......
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Ah for feck sake, back at it again.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0210/1355888-enoch-burke/

My reading of it that he was told in advance that it was going to be deferred due to pressure on the court list. He didn't like it and made a spectacle. The laugh is that by his actions, he delayed the court even further, pushing his and everyone else's case back.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:13 pm Ah for feck sake, back at it again.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0210/1355888-enoch-burke/

My reading of it that he was told in advance that it was going to be deferred due to pressure on the court list. He didn't like it and made a spectacle. The laugh is that by his actions, he delayed the court even further, pushing his and everyone else's case back.
I lose faith in rte by seeing articles like this. It’s easy to paint anyone as the devil when you omit half the facts, no journalistic integrity.
Verified Username

Post by 8760976543 »

knownunknown wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:35 pm I lose faith in rte by seeing articles like this. It’s easy to paint anyone as the devil when you omit half the facts, no journalistic integrity.
Genuinely curious, what was omitted?
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Elwood_Blues wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:57 pm Genuinely curious, what was omitted?
No mention of why he keeps turning up to school.

Also language like this, “ He wanted to raise what he said was a delay in issuing a date for a hearing” is clearly bias. Everyone says the things they’re saying yet this nugget of language is designed to undermine what he said.

To me it seems as if this was the date for the hearing yet they changed it. This is the only mention from that article, “ hearing of the case involving him had been deferred.”. It seems to be a matter of fact that the case was deferred despite “what he said” above. There is no explanation of why the case was deferred or for how long just a long list of matters before the court today. Bias spin lacking journalistic integrity.

“ The court was originally due to review whether or not Mr Burke continued to be in contempt of court after the imposition of a daily fine of €700 two weeks ago.”
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

If rte had reported on Rosa Parks:

“Mrs. Parks had sat on the bus despite the fact that a reasonable and friendly bus driver had requested that she not”

“She wanted to raise what she said was a issue with where people sit or something”

“She brought the issue to court which took up the time of people with real world problems over such a silly thing of where you can sit on a bus”.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Indo reporting something similar

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/cou ... 36395.html

Cases are often deferred. There was 46 other cases to be heard and the day was too full and something had to be bumped off the list. As this is was a costs case, it's not as high priority as others.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:30 pm Indo reporting something similar

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/cou ... 36395.html

Cases are often deferred. There was 46 other cases to be heard and the day was too full and something had to be bumped off the list. As this is was a costs case, it's not as high priority as others.
He’s getting fined by the day, time is of the essence. Why was his court date deferred and when was it initially set for? I can’t find the answer to this anywhere. The news of it being deferred broke yesterday apparently. Surely he should have been heard before all those people today as he was initially on the list.
https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/co ... och-burke/
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

knownunknown wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:47 pm He’s getting fined by the day, time is of the essence. Why was his court date deferred and when was it initially set for? I can’t find the answer to this anywhere. The news of it being deferred broke yesterday apparently.
https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/co ... och-burke/
This was a different case, not the daily fine one.

This is about the costs of his case to stop the school dismissing him. The daily fine is due to not following a court order.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

In typical Burke fashion, there's multiple court cases going on with the boundaries getting blurred for us ordinary folk
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:01 pm This was a different case, not the daily fine one.

This is about the costs of his case to stop the school dismissing him. The daily fine is due to not following a court order.
It’s there in the headline of the Irish times, “ Judge defers review of daily fines totalling…” and in the rte article it mentions the case was deferred earlier this week, “ Mr Burke and his sister came to court despite the fact that a review of his case which had been originally scheduled to take place today had been deferred earlier in the week.”

What other case?
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Earlier reports on the radio said it was about the costs of the discipline tribunal.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:35 pm Earlier reports on the radio said it was about the costs of the discipline tribunal.
I think the media is being purposefully obscure about anything to do with this case, focusing on the inconsequential and burying the lede.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

He's back in court today at the court of appeal.

From reading the reports, I'm surprised there wasn't an outburst yet....
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

No box either, they were out in force.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:05 pm He's back in court today at the court of appeal.

From reading the reports, I'm surprised there wasn't an outburst yet....
“When asked by Mr Justice John Edwards whether there was a more appropriate setting than at a religious service "to make a public spectacle and to confront the principal in the way in which she was confronted", Mr Burke responded that "under no circumstances could it be portrayed as gross misconduct".”

Would love to know what happened there exactly, seems to be the crux of everything.

Also interesting that this appeal gets framed as of great importance by the justices involved, “ In acknowledging the great importance of the case to all those involved, Mr Justice Birmingham said the judges would not delay in delivering their ruling.”

The media and other judges seem to have been downplaying this whole thing and saying it’s unimportant and trivial. Maybe Burke is just treating others as they treat him.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

knownunknown wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:53 pm “When asked by Mr Justice John Edwards whether there was a more appropriate setting than at a religious service "to make a public spectacle and to confront the principal in the way in which she was confronted", Mr Burke responded that "under no circumstances could it be portrayed as gross misconduct".”

Would love to know what happened there exactly, seems to be the crux of everything.

Also interesting that this appeal gets framed as of great importance by the justices involved, “ In acknowledging the great importance of the case to all those involved, Mr Justice Birmingham said the judges would not delay in delivering their ruling.”

The media and other judges seem to have been downplaying this whole thing and saying it’s unimportant and trivial. Maybe Burke is just treating others as they treat him.
Thanks for those quotes. I didn't see them.

As for Burke treating others as they treat him, I read it the opposite in the judges are telling him how can he expect others to obey the court if he won't?
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:36 pm Thanks for those quotes. I didn't see them.

As for Burke treating others as they treat him, I read it the opposite in the judges are telling him how can he expect others to obey the court if he won't?
The point about how others were treating him was in relation to your question about why there have been no outbursts in this appeal.

I’m starting to see this deferred judgement as a cop out. They’re waiting for him to turn up to school again on Monday after the mid term so they can say he’s not respecting the court and rule against him. I hope I’m wrong.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

knownunknown wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:33 pm The point about how others were treating him was in relation to your question about why there have been no outbursts in this appeal.

I’m starting to see this deferred judgement as a cop out. They’re waiting for him to turn up to school again on Monday after the mid term so they can say he’s not respecting the court and rule against him. I hope I’m wrong.
Oh 100%. I agree that they are waiting for him to show up. But it's mid term this week, isn't it.....
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Rte giving Burke’s side of the story? Colour me shocked.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/03 ... och-burke/
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Why am I reminded of the Russian Ambassador when he was saying he had letters of support from members of the public.....