Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Anyone still glued to this?

News, geopolitics, impact, consequences etc from the Ukraine Russia conflict
knownunknown

Re: Anyone still glued to this?

Post by knownunknown »

Starlink have removed some of the services that Ukraine were abusing. They are the satellites that Musk has been supplying to Ukraine to use for communications for free since the invasion began.

Starlink "was never intended to be weaponized. However, Ukrainians have leveraged it in ways that were unintentional and not part of any agreement. We know the military is using them for comms, and that's OK," she said. But it it was never the company's intent for the system to be used for offensive purposes.”

"There are things that we can do to limit their ability to do that," they quoted her as saying without offering details. "There are things that we can do, and have done."

Gwynne Shotwell Spacex

The Ukrainian military uses Starlink for broadband communications in the field and to help control a network of surveillance drones that is critical to monitor Russian troop concentrations and military movements.

Ukraine has made effective use of drones to hit enemy positions with long-range weapons and bombs.

https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-starlin ... 64837.html
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I've seen some (unconfirmed, dubious, possible, who knows) reports of Ukraine using drones to drop hydrocyanic acid. If they were using starlink for the drones to do that....
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

isha wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:48 pm I've seen some (unconfirmed, dubious, possible, who knows) reports of Ukraine using drones to drop hydrocyanic acid. If they were using starlink for the drones to do that....
There's video footage of it
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Setanta wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:02 pm There's video footage of it
I've seen footage purporting to be chemical munitions. But it could honestly just as easily be a regular weapon that hit in a certain way. There's not exactly proof. It's a weird one. The videos seem odd.
But it could also be true.
Fog of war.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Wagner group being withdrawn for getting too strong/successful and being returned to Africa

Talks of upto 40,000 out of 50,000 recruits lost in combat and non-combat incident's.....one prison recruitment had 107 and now seemingly only 9 survive

The utter lunacy of pouring so much resources into bakhmut by both sides is mind boggling,not since Stalingrad or worst of WW1 battles were so much life wasted for so little in Europe
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

At least the German armaments industry is getting a boost.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... until-2024
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Stalingrad does come to mind when talking about Bakhmut alright. A strategically unimportant town but being used to suck in resources. Yet, elsewhere, Russia gets their arse handed to them when pushing for a strategically important hill town, Vuhledar
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:05 pm Stalingrad does come to mind when talking about Bakhmut alright. A strategically unimportant town but being used to suck in resources. Yet, elsewhere, Russia gets their arse handed to them when pushing for a strategically important hill town, Vuhledar
It's horrific some of videos emerging from there,entering it's 6th month of trench warfare and effective stalemate

Both sides losing hundred plus troops a day.......talks of withdrawal begining after 24 Feb anniversary,.....the yanks supposedly want and advising withdrawal as their alarmed at Ukrainian losses taken holding it,with significant supply of long range weapons,capable of striking deep into russian territory on the table on offer to do so
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Setanta wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:37 amBoth sides losing hundred plus troops a day.......
Well, one side reportedly losing a hundred troops a week; the other losing a hundred troops for every two hours of daylight.

Still at least we can put Russia's "but NATO" excuse to bed now - they've pulled just about all their forces away from every border they share with actual NATO member states to throw them into an unwinnable fight with a non-NATO member.

It's going to be interest to hear what China proposes by way of a peace plan in the next few days. Somehow I think the word "Taiwan" will feature heavily in the unwritten text between the lines.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:19 pm Well, one side reportedly losing a hundred troops a week; the other losing a hundred troops for every two hours of daylight.

Still at least we can put Russia's "but NATO" excuse to bed now - they've pulled just about all their forces away from every border they share with actual NATO member states to throw them into an unwinnable fight with a non-NATO member.

It's going to be interest to hear what China proposes by way of a peace plan in the next few days. Somehow I think the word "Taiwan" will feature heavily in the unwritten text between the lines.
Ukraine is losing 100 troops a day,going by German intelligence (Russia losses are mind boggling for what its looking to gain,I remember reading interviews of David dushman,bloke who liberated aushwitz,who claimed just 69 of his 12,000 strong regiment survived WW2,so they seem perhaps politically immune to these type losses??)

https://kyivindependent.com/news-feed/s ... in-bakhmut

Aye,I don't think anyone is buying the NATO excuse anymore,but I still think a korean style DMZ between Russia and NATO countries on its borders would be sensible

I hadn't heard of China's proposed peace talks,though I suspect they'll lean heavily to Russia's favour,given Russia delayed starting this war,so not to distract from the winter Olympics there......the UN has proven to be shamefully ineffective and a review of its security councils vetoes needs doing
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Aye,I don't think anyone is buying the NATO excuse anymore,but I still think a korean style DMZ between Russia and NATO countries on its borders would be sensible"

This should have been done when the Berlin Wall came down and the Warsaw Pact fell apart but instead the triumphalist West/NATO couldn't wait to expand Eastwards.
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

The Chinese may be talking about peace plans but Blinken also says they might help Russia militarily. Maybe the coming US war with China will be played out conveniently on the continent of Europe. They can use the same space that is already being destroyed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64695042

China is considering giving Russia weapons and ammunition for the Ukraine war, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has said.

Mr Blinken told CBS News that Chinese companies were already providing "non-lethal support" to Russia - and new information suggested Beijing could provide "lethal support".

This escalation would mean "serious consequences" for China, he warned.

China has denied reports that Moscow has requested military equipment.

Chinese President Xi Jinping is an ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin and is yet to condemn Russia's invasion - but he has sought to remain neutral in the conflict and has called for peace.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Well, Kyiv is the safest city in the world today......

Biden has popped in for a cup of tea.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Very provocative in my opinion.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Ya, I'm surprised he didn't wait until Friday for the one year anniversary. If he did, that would really rub it in.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Then again, is he half hoping that Russia would do something daft and send a missile, causing damage, injury or worse. That way, the US would have the "right" to respond "appropriately".
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

War mongering senile old scumbag Biden pushing us all closer to WW3.

And the left are wanking themselves, this fecking degenerate peadophile cretin is going to get us all killed!!

But yeah, Trump said "pussy" .. so ORANGE man bad!!
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:21 pm War mongering senile old scumbag Biden pushing us all closer to WW3.

And the left are wanking themselves, this fecking degenerate peadophile cretin is going to get us all killed!!

But yeah, Trump said "pussy" .. so ORANGE man bad!!
It really is amazing how we were bombarded, inundated with “orange man bad” for the best part of 5 years. Remember the media told us that Putin got him elected, he was Kremlin’s guy. Even after years of the Mueller investigation coming up fruitless most of the slack jaws will still tell you they found something something….but can’t quite tell you what.

It was in fact Biden that had a quid-pro-quo arrangement, if they didn’t fire the prosecutor investigating his son,he was going to withhold the military aid they needed!

They’ll tell you we need to fight misinformation, but the people telling us this are the biggest spreaders of it. Confession through projection. How many people have ever seen this clip?

Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Irish government throwing the military might into this and throwing away Irish neutrality to assist those accused of Nazism :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/202 ... an-forces/

I've issue helping those Ukrainians whom are refugees,and feel Russia is entirely in the wrong in this war....but this war has nothing to do with us,and neutrality is best option
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Setanta wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:24 pm Irish government throwing the military might into this and throwing away Irish neutrality to assist those accused of Nazism :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/202 ... an-forces/

I've issue helping those Ukrainians whom are refugees,and feel Russia is entirely in the wrong in this war....but this war has nothing to do with us,and neutrality is best option
30 people…. :lol: I was listening to a podcast last night where a point was made that stuck with me. Even if all the nato countries improved their contribution to the promised 2%, all the rich countries like Germany, France, Turkey, etc… this figure would still pale in comparison to the contribution made by the US.

Even if Russia declared war on us I wouldn’t be too worried. Half way across the world with the UK in between we don’t have much to worry about. I remember though we wouldn’t kick out the ambassador because Russia were still permitting humanitarian routes in and out of Ukraine for irish women with surrogate pregnancies there. Not sure there are still any there, surely not.

Why is Filatov still here? Here he is slating the Irish times a few days ago, who is right and who is wrong?
It looks like the Irish Times editors are desperately lacking fresh fakes in their blame game against Russia. It should be noted that regular nonstories based on “credible reports” or “US estimates” are not substitutes for truth and reality.
https://telegra.ph/Irish-Times-War-on-Truth-02-17
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/edit ... to-russia/
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

So could this lead to world nuclear conflict ?

or are we looking at another decades long cold war here ?
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:42 am So could this lead to world nuclear conflict ?

or are we looking at another decades long cold war here ?
Maybe a better question is how could it not lead to either or both. What has to happen to stop this continued escalation? I don’t think there’s any way either side can claim a decisive victory. Russia are the aggressors but Ukraine’s demands seem fanciful.
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

knownunknown wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:56 am Maybe a better question is how could it not lead to either or both. What has to happen to stop this continued escalation? I don’t think there’s any way either side can claim a decisive victory. Russia are the aggressors but Ukraine’s demands seem fanciful.
So we're all fuct another words .... jesus and the left are baying for this ...

I wonder is it there inherent misanthropic views that makes them want this ..
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Tis true, we are viewed as a plague species upon the earth by the be kind crowd.
Worrying.
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

God Rachel Maddow is a war mongering fecking c*nt