Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Something up?

If you're of the view that there is a need for an old school, simple style, classic BB, with more focus on debate and discussion than bells and whistles, then gubu.ie is for you. See here for some site specific information, admin announcements, forum requests, feedback etc.
Forum rules
No racism or hate speech. Attack the post not the poster. Don't be a dick.
knownunknown

Re: Something up?

Post by knownunknown »

Was looking for a post on the phpbb forums that had a problem similar to this. This thread looks very similar and this was the response from the support team. https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... p=15217691

PhpBB will compute the page to show by a formula using the number of posts in the topic divided by the number of posts per page. If the retrieved posts does not match the total posts, then the page might be wrong. I have seen this happen, for instance, when a user has been removed and his posts have not, because that user's posts are not retrieved when the posts table is joined with the user table, so the post count is inconsistent.

Hope this can help.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

knownunknown wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:44 pm Was looking for a post on the phpbb forums that had a problem similar to this. This thread looks very similar and this was the response from the support team. https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... p=15217691

PhpBB will compute the page to show by a formula using the number of posts in the topic divided by the number of posts per page. If the retrieved posts does not match the total posts, then the page might be wrong. I have seen this happen, for instance, when a user has been removed and his posts have not, because that user's posts are not retrieved when the posts table is joined with the user table, so the post count is inconsistent.

Hope this can help.
Thanks 166, if we had any money I'd offer you the troubleshooter job!

This might well be in the right ballpark, we do have deleted users, whose posts are still on the site, and some of those on both the glued and WTF threads, but this has happened in other threads before without that anomaly. Although that could be a separate issue related to twitter embed script. Also the query on the phpbb forum is about search, and this impact would sort of make sense in that context, not sure how it would affect thanks function though.

I'm tempted to test this theory in order to rule it out by simply creating a "Anyone still glued to this? MK II" and a "Wtf moment of the day" MK II threads, in which deleted users will not be participating.

Anybody have any objections to this idea? They're both popular threads and I know people can get weirdly attached to threads!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I'd probably object on principle if I had even the vaguest idea about such things but I'm happy whatever you do as long as it doesn't involve the Canadians. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

On further reflection, losing confidence in this theory, as there other examples of threads with deleted users' posts in them eg vaccine thread that are working with no problem.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Am a great believer in creating parallel realities, so no objection from me to the duplication of any thread for testing purposes.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Anyone notice the issue when thanking posts?

Once you click, the thread jumps back to previous page
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's been happening for ages
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Yeah, it's a kind of a now-you-see-it-now-you-don't glitch. Still better than having to put up with Vanilla as a discussion board software.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's because when people join then leave it scrambles up the post count. And some threads are just irretrievably scrambled. It might be worth doing part two on some popular ones and enforcing a Hotel California policy going forward. You can check out any time you want but you can never leave.
Leg End Reject
Verified Username

Post by Leg End Reject »

I have somehow activated dark mode, I like it but I can't figure out how I did it.

Are there any other fancy tricks I can try out?
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Leg End Reject wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:43 pm I have somehow activated dark mode, I like it but I can't figure out how I did it.

Are there any other fancy tricks I can try out?
Dark mode is about as fancy as we get. You can toggle it on and off, top right beside your username.
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

Guburnor wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:03 pm Dark mode is about as fancy as we get. You can toggle it on and off, top right beside your username.
Dark mode is the bestest.

One of the sites im on, a hape of us got banned fort he month thats in it and one person set up a page so we could chat away until we are allowed back, they keep posting "Light mode" screenshots of the other place, weirdos. All the cool people use dark mode . haha
Leg End Reject
Verified Username

Post by Leg End Reject »

Guburnor wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:03 pm Dark mode is about as fancy as we get. You can toggle it on and off, top right beside your username.
I see the light bulb now. Very fancy altogether!
Leg End Reject
Verified Username

Post by Leg End Reject »

Testing I can post gifs here and I just happened to pick this one, completely at random of course.

Yay :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

How do you do it? I managed once or maybe twice but I can't remember how.

You will notice "skipping" on some threads as complained about above. It's what we do for penance given that this is a hell site.
Leg End Reject
Verified Username

Post by Leg End Reject »

isha wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:11 pm How do you do it? I managed once or maybe twice but I can't remember how.

You will notice "skipping" on some threads as complained about above. It's what we do for penance given that this is a hell site.
Go to the full reply box, you'll see formatting symbols under the subject line. On the right of that line you'll see a picture symbol, click on that and the following appears.
Add the url of your gif between the brackets.

It's a bit fiddly, I have to make a space between the brackets before I could manage to paste the url, but youcould also just type the img tags at either end of the url.
Leg End Reject
Verified Username

Post by Leg End Reject »

The symbol didn't show. It's:
Leg End Reject
Verified Username

Post by Leg End Reject »

FFS it changes even if I try it manually! I'll do it with spaces so it shows.
[\I m g]

Don't add the spaces between img.

Still not working, I'll try to add a screenshot.
20230626_212803.jpg
20230626_212803.jpg (13.63 KiB) Viewed 4899 times
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I couldn't find how to get the URL so I downloaded the gif and added as an attachment which seems to work but doesn't look as neat. I'll try again when not tired. But meanwhile....

Thanks-For-Watching-GIF-Funny-min.gif
Thanks-For-Watching-GIF-Funny-min.gif (250.11 KiB) Viewed 4883 times
Leg End Reject
Verified Username

Post by Leg End Reject »

isha wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:48 pm I couldn't find how to get the URL so I downloaded the gif and added as an attachment which seems to work but doesn't look as neat. I'll try again when not tired. But meanwhile....

Thanks-For-Watching-GIF-Funny-min.gif
Once you select your gif press and hold on it, then select "open in new tab". Go to the new tab and copy the url.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Leg End Reject wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:04 pm Once you select your gif press and hold on it, then select "open in new tab". Go to the new tab and copy the url.
Awesome 😎

Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

I googled for "worlds most boring photo" ... this is what I got ...

No doubt it will go up for auction and some pretentious nob end will buy it for $200,000....
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Cheap at that and more likely some money laundering nob will buy it.
'no more blah blah blah'