Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

St Patrick's Day

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
isha
Verified Username

St Patrick's Day

Post by isha »

My Auntie had a special green suit she took out every At Patrick's Day.
My granny has a good green blazer
We as kids had special coordinated green-themed outfits that my mother made

Your aim was to have a good sized clump of shamrock on the rosette. Some people went overboard and practically has hanging baskets of the stuff on their bosoms.

It was a day when you could break Lent and eat as many sweets as you wanted. What a relief.

And then go to the village or town and watch the fire engine and the Credit Union float and get hard boiled sweets thrown at you with a certain vicious pleasure by yokels on tractors.

A memorable day.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Jack The Stripper

Re: St Patrick's Day

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Catherine Martin and her poster promoting the day one would think it’s some sick drag kiddie thing. A disgrace, another bit of our culture gone.
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

I always liked the day off but always found it a bit of a nothing celebration.
It feels plastic.

I mean, it's basically celebrating an questionable Welsh person who brought a hateful backwards desert religion to undermine the belief and traditions of an entire culture.

It's current state it what it deserves.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Mirabeau wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:00 amI mean, it's basically celebrating an questionable Welsh person who brought a hateful backwards desert religion to undermine the belief and traditions of an entire culture.
And in that spirit, I've forced my French co-workers to wear tacky green oirish headgear today, which I picked up in Dealz a fortnight ago. :mrgreen:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I've always loathed the day for the reasons isha mentioned. The sheer tackiness of the whole thing; bakery vans with a sprig of bunting, all the local sports organisations trooping along in disorganised confusion, barely washed tractors and commercial vans, firetrucks and very poor floats in the main. It's a great day out for Americans and it's a pity that it has been re-imported here. I was fortunate never having seen a parade - apart from on TV - until my early forties when the kids had to be brought to them. Bah humbug. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Its one of those Holidays that feels a bit forced. Basically you have to enjoy if your Irish and it's mandatory to throw a gallon of Guinness down your neck. At this stage it just seems to be designed as one big tourist attraction and its original meaning lost. Now in saying that I appreciate the day off, especially when it falls near a weekend. And you never know. I might treat myself to a small one later on. I'm pretty sure St Patrick would have wanted that:)
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I’m enjoying a drink, a watch of the Quiet Man and a can left there for my late da.

Let the plastics have their parades and that - we just quietly mark that we’re Irish and we remember those who have gone before.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Well the Enniscorthy parade was as bad as ever with the wretched thing passing the house just as the Gold Cup at Cheltenham was in full flow - I suppose I deserved it! Anyway, I took a peek out and amongst the passing 'floats' was an artic tractor unit - not even pulling anything... :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:57 pm Well the Enniscorthy parade was as bad as ever with the wretched thing passing the house just as the Gold Cup at Cheltenham was in full flow - I suppose I deserved it! Anyway, I took a peek out and amongst the passing 'floats' was an artic tractor unit - not even pulling anything... :roll:
My local one in the Midlands had a sign “Ireland is racist - please do more!!”

Go fck yourself!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Cool.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

😂
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

And not a bakery van or a tractor in sight! :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

One of my brothers who lives in England put this in the family WhatsApp group earlier 😆
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Re: Irish Americans, I'm reminded of this sketch from The Savage Eye.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I like this. Le mannequin pis in Brussels
Manneken-Pis-4-V.jpg
Manneken-Pis-4-V.jpg (21.22 KiB) Viewed 643 times
20230318_080619.jpg
20230318_080619.jpg (113.15 KiB) Viewed 643 times

Post by 678904673 »

Had to pop in to Dublin City Centre this morning and took a short cut through Temple Bar. Let's say it wasnt pretty. The street cleaners will earn their money today