Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Burke family, Castlebar

The burning issues of the day
knownunknown

Re: Burke family, Castlebar

Post by knownunknown »

Looks like the judgement will be issued tomorrow. They must be having a difficult old think about it.

Will they ignore the constitution in the name of gender identity?
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I wouldn't be surprised if the judgement is not in his favour as he has shown himself to be incapable of following judgements that didn't suit him.

We'll see what is said
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

He should have steadied the ship, I’d say all we will see tomorrow is them out in force and getting mouthy and throwing the toys out of the cot.
There finance backers seem to be backing them at all costs.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

So the judges ruled it wasn’t about transgenderism at all. That’s what was argued against Rosa Parks and many like her before that….it wasn’t about civil rights, it was about causing disruption.

What a stain on the Irish courts. Ridiculous is an understatement.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

True, the behaviour of the Burke's was ridiculous alright. Bloody disgraceful. If they behaved more normally in the court, they would do a lot better.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:45 pm True, the behaviour of the Burke's was ridiculous alright. Bloody disgraceful. If they behaved more normally in the court, they would do a lot better.
Maybe this is normal behaviour for them🤔

Kinda easy to imagine the scenarios outlined by the principal, that lead to him being suspended to begin with,being truthful......a pound shop Ian paisley,without the charisma to pull it off
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

He is doubtless a pain. The whole family are weird. What they are doing behaviour-wise is hare-brained. I'd rather stick needles in my eye than entertain them in my kitchen. But nonetheless he is right. Being compelled to address a child as if they had no sex is wrong. It is authoritarian compulsion to be made to publicly cleave to a false ideological belief system. (Later there will be compulsion to address boys as girls and girls as boys. Etc)
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

My view on this is two fold.

First, Burke is an idiot for his behaviour at the school and the court. He could have been a lot more dignified and make a much bigger impact by a dignified stand. Sure one of the judges said that on his application to have the discipline hearing stopped that his case had merit and could have been worthy of a full hearing but his behaviour made it impossible to grant his application.

Also, he's doing a great dis-service to the debate on transgenderism in underage kids. If he was more dignified maybe a more well behaved debate would have started. Now, if anyone expresses such questions, they are automatically lumped in as a religious bigot. I think that there's a lot of "bandwagon jumping" by people to get a label to "be different", without understanding the consequences of that label.

My view is that there's only two genders in everyone, what you are biologically and what you identify as. Normally they align but sometimes they dont. Biologically you are either a male or female. You can get bits added or taken off but that wont change what you are biologically. Now, what you identify as, that's no skin off my nose BUT how can you make a proper, informed decision as to what you identify as when you are not an adult and still maturing?

When you are an adult, I dont care if you call yourself a man, woman, something in-between or a giraffe as long as you dont impose it on me!
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

I think the bigger question today is where are Simeon's shoes?

Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Oh full judicial enquiry needed as to where are his shoes?
Jack The Stripper

Did they look in the box for his shoes?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

He could yet become a cult hero. Hahaha :lol:
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

I would love for https://www.ontheditch.com/ to investigate exactly where their money comes from...

Obviously Roman Shortall will have to sort his rent arrears first ;-). but it would be a good investigation for them to pursue
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I can see the school arguing for the Burke's being required to lodge money with the high court before continuing in their appeal. There has been plenty of times that was done in the past. Unless the money is lodged, no appeal. If Burke's win, money is returned.

It's a reasonable argument to make due to their litigious nature as it's a common tactic of some with little to loose representing themselves to drown the other side in costs.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Cyclepath wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:37 pm I would love for https://www.ontheditch.com/ to investigate exactly where their money comes from...

Obviously Roman Shortall will have to sort his rent arrears first ;-). but it would be a good investigation for them to pursue
Roman is even more unlikeable.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:48 pm Roman is even more unlikeable.
Yeah, both of them certainly come across as very angry men!

I'm not their biggest fan but must I admit I think there's a place for them shining the light into dark corners! If you're a whistleblower it's a lot safer to dump your evidence with them than it is to follow the 'correct' channels.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Cyclepath wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:11 am Yeah, both of them certainly come across as very angry men!

I'm not their biggest fan but must I admit I think there's a place for them shining the light into dark corners! If you're a whistleblower it's a lot safer to dump your evidence with them than it is to follow the 'correct' channels.
The focus is good but it’s selective.
The Left are obsessed with white collar crime but ignore violent crime (unless committed by someone they don’t like)
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

There's a story today that the family of the child didn't know it was their child at the centre of the drama, feel unsafe now because of attention, and contradict the school saying they didn't ask for they them pronouns.

The school are denying that the parents claim is correct. The parents are saying all the suggestions re pronouns came from the school not them or the child

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/cou ... 90736.html

Jack The Stripper

Always three sides to every story. Their side, the other side and the truth.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Something I find strange about this is that the school appears to have been given power as to how the fines will be paid. I always thought fines were a court issue, and not one of the parties involved.

In a judgement issued on Thursday, Mr Justice Brian O’Moore said the teacher has until March 23rd to pay the fines.

After that, Wilson’s Hospital School may apply to enforce payment of the fines by means such as seeking orders over Mr Burke’s assets, the judge said.

The judge said: “There are clear and obvious steps which can be taken, including the sequestration of Mr. Burke’s assets. The earlier application for sequestration as a coercive measure was refused. However, sequestration of Mr. Burke’s assets in order to enable collection of his fines is a different proposition.

“In any event, as and from 4pm on the 23rd of March, the school is at large as to what steps it wishes to take to enforce the fines and Mr. Burke will be at risk of such measures for as long as it takes for the fines to be paid.”

Mr Justice O’Moore considering whether the fine should be increased over the breaching of the High Court order directing Mr Burke to stay away from the Co Westmeath school, the judge said there are two possible reasons for Mr Burke’s continuing contempt. One is that the fine is too low, the other is that he does not really believe that the fines will ever be enforced.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's beginning to maybe look a bit like a political show trial.

I'm unclear about the implications, but if this push all came from the school under the influence of TENI and BelongTo (for example) then the situation seems to my mind to be changed. Burke has essentially been trialed for his religious beliefs - would it happen if Burke was a Muslim or an Orthodox Jew/Orthodox Christian? I see the big skit now is the amount of floats at parade's lampooning Burke - honestly, a lot of people have feeble senses of humour or creativity. And perhaps in the light of changing facts, the great village wits may feel foolish.

We shall see
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

I done wee bit of reading this dirty evening,on this bloke

Its nuts craic,he wasn't even teaching this student to begin with....hasn't offered anything like a proposed solution to underpin supposed conscious objections and had a string of inappropriate behaviour leading upto his inevitable suspension
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

What are the chances of the school publicly identifying & expelling the pupil and then re-instating Enoch Burke as teacher?
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

isha wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:40 pm It's beginning to maybe look a bit like a political show trial.
Indeed. “ The case has continued without Mr Burke or a legal representative for him being present, with witnesses called by the school without cross-examination.”

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/jud ... 56272.html

The fervour with which this man is attacked really is something, something I’ve read about in history books but never seen first hand.